Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning and observation wall

Hello

I have a small display area in my classroom -above child height where I display the weeks planning and observation information so that it can be easily accessed by everyone working in my classroom. However, I have been asked to remove it by senior management because "if looks tatty" - it's not!

So my question is does anyone else have similar displays, is this good ey practice and does anyone have any documentation i can take to senior management to argue that this is good ey practice?

Thanks in advance

Hannah

Hello Hannah

We have something similar in our learning environment- yes it is good practise and I am surprised at SMT for not recognising that if is FS version of a working wall... don't all year groups celebrate and reflect the learning process in numeracy and literacy now?

We have worked on making it look pretty in a quiet area of the classroom (SMT's like things to look pretty) i.e. pieces of card that are the correct size for mounting post -it notes, and A4 paper stapled to the wall, copies of longer obs, hooks with clipboards with the three key objectives that all the children in the environment were working on so any adult helper or TA could effectively target them in free flow, but an Early years advisor recently suggested making life easy and having a giant whiteboard and get all adults to scribe straight on to it and white tack the planning.

But sorry not sure if there is any document to say this is good practise!

We certainly have the planning displayed as a good way of sharing it with parents. However I can't think of any documentation to help you.

Good luck

Guest sn0wdr0p

We use a large folding whiteboard (It was expensive). For privacy we can fold it if we have any visitors to the setting. it is taped with a column for each child and next steps are noted on it so all staff can see what key people are looking for and can easily add anything they observe. It is then easy to add any progress to a child's learning journey then wipe off and add a new next step. Notes about interests, anything interesting happening in a child's life etc. it saves on paper as well. The only problem is the black hole where all the whiteboard pens disappear.

We have a planning display- and have the weeks planning on it, we add notes and post it's through the week, to give us ideas etc for next weeks planning, I would add a pic of it, but not sure how on the iPad !

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)