Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Diwali

:o

Diwali is upon us again and was wondering how other settings are celebrating. Do you combine it with Bonfire Night or incorporate it into a topic on light? I would love to hear about the variations.

In our setting we are making cards and divas as usual xD but as a team we felt we wanted to do more so the children are presenting a short traditional stick dance for their parents/carers. They are painting and decorating their wooden sticks. We are also having a traditional meal and tea party. Some of the children will go to the local shops to buy asian sweets and fresh chapati for the meals.

I think the staff will definately put on weight next week!! :D

The team has alao decided to were traditional clothing like saris for the party.

Should be fun!

Thats our settings ideas for this year - now lets hear yours please!

That sounds so lovely and loads of fun, our topic for next half term is light and dark with a focus on celebrations so I will be using some of your wonderful ideas :)

I have real trouble incorporating festivals from other cultures

into our programme as we have no children from other cultures.

How do you help the children relate to something thats out

of their experience! We make divas and firework pictures,

talk about celebrations etc How can I make it more relevant?

Helen

Diwali

I love the celebration. It's so colourful. India is a wonderful place. Elephants - remind me of Elmer. Plaster of Paris or clay diva lamps with tea lights - decorated with paint, sequins, jewels etc. (Don't foget to explain the safety aspects!!!!!) Children to come to the group in their nightclothes and pretend to wake up in the morning at playgroup - and dress themselves for the celebrations - (night and day - Dark and Light) Garlands made from crepe thread on to wool. Cards with intricate paterns. Dye rice for stickiing onto cards/collages - indoor firewworks!!! Depends on how you view things! 3D elephants made from cardboard and painted. Indian spices for smelling on the interest table - see how the tumeric stains!!. Saris/material adorning the playhouse walls and roof - balti cooking bowls. Handprint in bright colours the Sacred Cow of India! Indian cooking - samosas, pitta breads and Indian sweet meats. Check out the "Under 5's activities on the web - they have some good printable ideas. Hope you get a few ideas - I've got loads more but these work well

Nikki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)