Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Speaking And Listening

Some activities we do include

Talk about new in pairs on a monday

Teacher has a picture card and describes the object and children try to guess what the object is

Discuss posters

Ask children to work in pairs and find out 3 specific things about thier friend ie favourite toy, food and tv prog then feedback to group

Choose a child to sit in a circle and ask other children to ask the child questions, the children must use the names of the child when speaking ie sam what is your pet called

My pet is called fred, sarah

hope these help

I once was lucky enough to watch a Speech Therapist work with some children. One activity she did was give two children a spot the difference picture (ie both children had the same drawing but on one there were some differences) the children had to work out the differences (ie spot the differences) by asking questions and listening to each other. This could be adapted for younger children and adapted for groups, possibly even class.

Does it make any sense?

She also did a simple but fun activity (I am sure we've all done it) with children sitting in a circle and rolling a ball across by saying "Chris to Fred" and then Fred would say "Fred to Sam" etc

Getting children used to being quiet/listening - pass around some jingle bells without making a noise.

Send children away from the carpet by whispering their name, or by making eye contact only for attention.

anticipation box is a lovely idea. you put something in a box and the children talk about what it might be. you can prompt as often as you need too, they ask questions and you answer them. Then you wait till end of day to open the box. Children can bring something to put into the box as well. It works really well in my foundation unit.

foundations of literacy by ros bayley and sue palmer has lots of good ideas as well.

Guest tinkerbell

My children take it in turns to take Floppy (toy dog) home for the night.The next morning they stand at the front and tell the class what he has got up to...he tends to eat alot of sausages and watch tv!! children put up their hand to ask questions and the speaker gets a sticker for their efforts, they love it

Tinkerbell

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)