Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Behaviour Management Policy

MegaMum

I have been following the topic "Bullying/Harassment of staff by parents" topic with interest as I was subject to this last year In doing so, I am fascinated to read that some of you have included policies on withdrawing children for disruptive behaviour or displaying inappropriate behaviour. I was always under the assumption we couldn't do this.

It seems this is a controversial area, but what are the rules? I have looked through the pertinent documents and I can't find anything to say we can't have a policy like this in place. What I can find, is documentation requiring us to be inclusive regarding disability, SEN, race, gender etc., which I am sure (hope!) we all adhere to. I am looking for concrete information rather that interpretation.

In my setting, we have some disruptive boisterous children and yes they are challenging! I believe we are inclusive as we work closely with parents and have agreed plans in place in working with any disruptive behaviour, and we work cohesively with outside agencies.

In my opinion, however, when behaviour becomes such that a child regularly hurts other children - this is very different. I put myself in a parent's position and question what I would do if my child came home with injuries from the same child, or talked about the child's disruptive behaviour daily. Would I keep my child in that setting? I also ponder whether the child who injures has more rights than the child who never does?

My husband is a solicitor and is adamant an insurance provider would not pay out if a significant injury occurred where we had documented evidence of a child repeatedly harming others.

When you know there is probable risk of a child hurting another, do you have a risk assessment for disruptive behaviour and the possible outcome?

Penny for your thoughts?

I don't know the answer but we have the excluding child bit in ours as I put it on the other post, we have never been queried on it but similarly have never excluded a child either!

Schools can exclude children so I don't really see why nurseries would be any different? Obviously after trying to resolve, work with them etc etc but schools must sometimes face similar problems and that is why exclusion occurs?

It was our LA and Senco that suggested a child be moved from the setting but this didn't happen in the end but if we had have said they could no longer come then presumably it would be the LA in question as much as us? I wouldn't think anyone would ever exclude without consulting Senco etc first would they and gaining their advice?

I wouldn't think anyone would ever exclude without consulting Senco etc first would they and gaining their advice?

What happens if parents don't give permission for you to speak to Senco??

We had a situation a few years ago now with a child who's behaviour was extremely challenging but parents wouldn't give permission

I very nearly lost 2 families because of it

This child once at school was diagnosed with ADHD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)