Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I need your help please OSC

Guest SamG

Guest SamG

I wondered whether of you lovely people could help with a query I have (well a grandparent has)

I own a preschool and 1 of our grandparents (actually about my age - mid 40's) asked today if I could help.

She has been the manager of an out of school club for about 7 years. They are committee run and completely separate from the school with the exception that they rent the school hall.

The head teacher at the school is poking her nose in, asking to see the constitution and accounts and saying that the committee members are financially liable. The out of school club runs as a non profit making organisation.

My question is can the head do this and are the committee members financially liable?

Many thanks

Is the Headteacher on the committee?

If they are committee run yes they are financially liable and if she is on the committee has every right to know about the accounts. Also the constitution. Our committee have a idemnity clause in the insurance to limit libility, but would still be liable if anything goes wrong.

Guest SamG

I believe the headteacher has nothing to do with the out of school club and our grandparent/manager thinks the headteacher is trying to take over the running of the out of school club bringing it under the school OFSTED umbrella.

I think you are correct, the head is probably trying to find out information and will take it over. This is happening all over the place.

Guest SamG

Apparently one of the TA's at school is going to be running a holiday club! Looks like the head is definitely trying to take over the out of school club too.

Thanks for all your help.

Guest SamG

The latest development is that my business partner and myself have been asked whether we would join the committee to help steer the club in the right direction!

I hope the club is already going in the right direction, but we are thinking about it.

That sounds familiar actually. We are looking at our pre school being run- taken over- by the governors of the school as it has to be separate from school. Trouble is we rely on being able to rent the spaces/rooms we occupy so if the school want to they can terminate our rental agreement and we have no where to go.

If any one has already gone down this route can they comment on the pitfalls and benefits please?

As a Committee we want the best for the children naturally. The best would be a guarantee that our children can get into the school next door, and staff would have protected jobs for as long as they want them, that we can pay our way and a decent wage

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)