Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child Initiated Play

Trying to plan my new timetable and seem to be getting no where fast. My children will be starting full time after half term and so I need a change of plan.

Anyway, I would like to know how long your children spend on child initiated play each day and do you spend these times observing the children, or are you carrying out group activities at the same time? I am terrible because I feel so guilty if i am not working with a group of children, especially when the head teacher comes in. :o

Perhaps it's just me!

Edited by Guest

It's a tricky one, but the guidance we've been given is that 50% of the children's time should be CI activities.

I am still trying to fit observation times in, but either myself or TA do some observations each day. You shouldn't feel guilty about observing the children, it is part of what we have to do. Can't wait for all my class to become full time :D

Thanks ASPK, sorry for taking so long to reply.

My afternoons are going terribly at the moment and am feeling really unhappy with the setup. They are really dragging!

Anybody willing to share how they manage their afternoons?

Hi,

My class of 22 R 2 adult am only me pm, are not very bright. 3 behaviour problems, 9 speech & language, lots of these we cant understand without listening really carefully, most are having speech therapy. Because of the problems I have decided that the only way to deal with it is by structure, 1 boy in particular will not do anything asked of him just says no - there is nothing he likes doing, am thinking asberg / autistic as he is bright, awaiting sp lang assessment. So there are activities on the tables I have 2 tables and 1 very large one i use for art, etc. So they do not have much ci activities - sometimes they go on the Pen and Pencil Pit and an do what they want. draw, stick, cut, but not much else. They are a nightmare if allowed to wander around the class as so many of them can't get on.

How do you plan for CI (if I was doing them) if you plan how can they be CI?

Hope this makes sense

Abi

How do you plan for CI (if I was doing them) if you plan how can they be CI?

Hope this makes sense

Abi

42210[/snapback]

Yes, I know exactly what you mean! To a degree it doesn't matter if you put activities out because what the children actually do with them is CI unless an adult is there :D The important thing is to make sure there are lots of freely accessible resources as well and to go with the children's interests. It's not always possible to allow total free choice, so for sand/ water I sometimes put out a trolley with a slightly reduced selection of resources. (It's safer than letting them have free reign of our storage shed!)

I seemed to miss this post when it initially came up.

I'm in nursery, so perhaps slightly different, but I spoke to one of the reception teachers about this just before half term as I was worried that taking time out for observations & joining in with children's play (which I really wanted to do) would be seen as not really working. She has completely set my mind at rest suggesting I actually cut down on the number of adult-led activities, & wherever possible have one adult to 'float' to do the obs & play. this enables far more CI play as they aren't always being invited to participate in extra activities.

My children are only in for 2 1/2 hours a day, but half that time is spent working independently - aside from being invited to do whatever the set activity is. If the activity is for their books or something I really do encourage them to do it, whereas if it's a case of "Would you like to come and do some cutting & sticking?" and they say no, we don't force them, but record it on a class list that they chose not to.

Thanks for that, I am still not completely happy with the set up. I have decided to break the afternoon up with a short carpet session. I use this to do circle time, music, bingo etc. Seems to be working ok but I guess you always feel there could be a better way. I shall probably start visiting schools to observe their practice. How long do these visits normally last? Just asking as I don't want to over stay my welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I too am rather muddled about CI play. Do you allow children to access everything and help themselves to equipment throughout day or specific times? or is it enough to put out things and not say how to use / what to make and allow children to take own learning in their direction? Hope this makes sense??

Can you plan for CI play? :D

Yes, I know exactly what you mean! To a degree it doesn't matter if you put activities out because what the children actually do with them is CI unless an adult is there  :D  The important thing is to make sure there are lots of freely accessible resources as well and to go with the children's interests. It's not always possible to allow total free choice, so for sand/ water I sometimes put out a trolley with a slightly reduced selection of resources. (It's safer than letting them have free reign of our storage shed!)

42216[/snapback]

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)