Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Weather Station

sunflower

Hi,

I'm looking for ways to develop our outdoor area, maybe by creating areas with a specific focus. Was thinking about a weather station or a gardening area. I would like the areas to be quite permanent and for the children to be able to use them independently.

Any ideas for equipment/activities we could use?

Thanks

The weather station sounds good if you have the space for it.

I have used items for catching the rain, like making your own measuring pots with markings down the side. What about windmills and windsocks for testing the strength of the wind.

Chalks can be used to draw around puddles and then can be repeated as the puddles dry.

Clipboards to make observationals drawings, as it gets cold you can leave water out to freeze in trays. What about making a weather chart that they children can change every day. Hope that helps and good luck :)

We are beginning to develop a garden area for the children using their ideas for what we need to include. So far we have 3 raised beds and plan to plant vegetables. Last week we planted an apple tree and a pear tree (self polinating) at the children's suggestion and have plans for strawberry pots. we are lucky to have an allotment which we share with the older children, and a large school field where we have planted oak trees to celebrate trafalgar day. The children enjoy digging and caring for the various plants and are full of great suggestions.

Hi,

I made a weather area outside and found it easy to maintain. The children loved it. I bought simple windmills and windsocks to measure wind....marked containers for rain....Old Cd discs for sun.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)