Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I Can't Stand The Wait

Dear All,

Should receive news on an interview i went to either tomorrow or Friday. It's really hard - I have had to wait for over a week. I know that I put up a good powerpoint presentation but then really fell apart during the interview questions. I think I stand probably only a 10-20% chance of getting this but its the not knowing that's killing me. I really would like this job, I know that there will not be another job similar to this iin the near future which makes it all the more maddening - it would get my out of my financial mess, it would be interesting and varied and I think it would be something that I would get a great deal of satisfaction out of it. So just how do I pull myself up from it. I have studied for my BA for the past three years giving it everything I have got and this job would be ideally suited to use those skills. There is obviously a glimmer of hope - only a little and I need to prepare myself for the worse. This has been compunded by the fact that my student lodger has given me notice this week and I will therefore lose a considerable amount of income which makes this job even more important to me and I know money isn't everything but when you are working in the environment we are - trying to bring up 3 children on your own - with a mortgage etc etc etc and a financially unsupportive ex - life is tough. What can I do to prepare myself and get me over this if I don't get the job, I know that I will be very low and will have to rethink my life. Sounds a bit dramatic I know but it is probably true if I am to survive financially.

Nikki

Hang on in there and don't give up just yet. You've only got a day or two before you find out for sure, I've found that most interviews are given to those whose personality fits the best, rather than those who do and say all the right things perfectly. So if you think you'd be happy there, they probably do too.

Try and relax - things happen when you least expect it.

Fingers crossed

Jo

Guest tinkerbell

Good luck Nikki

My fingers are crossed for you ,you've obviously put in a hell of a lot of hard work and you will get your rewards . Good for you!!

Tinkerbell

when I went for my job prob not as high powered as yours but a tough interview nevertheless I was convinced I had messed up the interview questions I was kicking myself afterwards why didnt I say this and this is what they meant so try not to worry to much you cant change it I believe in fate and if you dont get it Nikki something else will come up in your hour of need.you have achieved so much to study for 3 years with 3 children on your own,so head up,believe in yourself if its meant to be IT WILL HAPPEN!

Nicola, My fingers and toes are still crossed for you, however, I understand how you feel and that positive thinking doesn't always get us what we need or want.

My advice ( learning from my own mistakes) is to try to be one step ahead, to be proactive instead of reactive ( I suffered from "reactive" depression for years).

To be proactive get out now and search for other similar jobs. Do I remeber correctly you were going for a tutoring post? if so, why not try..Local

Colleges

Adult Education Centre's

NVQ Centre's

EYDCP ( Training and development department)

Other childcare / social / welfare organisations ( private or voluntary sector)

or National

Childminding network

NCMA

PSLA

There is a national shortage of NVQ Assessors, would this interest you?

If you are unsuccessful this time ASK FOR FEEDBACK, take on board what they say but don't take it personally, many factors out of our control affect whether we get through interviews or not.

Once I was told I didn't get a job because I didn't have a "Strategic overview" didn't really understand what they meant. Years later I told my then boss, head of KCC Education department, she said she also got turned down for a job in KCC for the very same reason. It was just a phrase they used quite often for unsuccessful candidates :oxD:(

ps. While your waiting you could always keep busy with dare I say it, housework, and all your articles, paperwork and filing jobs that you so love to immerse yourself in. :(

Peggy

Good luck Nikki. You will survive because you will take solace in your children and all the other good things in life, put it down to experience and look again. As Peggy suggests ask for feedback, although in my recent experinces the feedback has been as good as useless and move forward knowing that although this one appeared to be all you wished it, it wasnt and there will be something else.

Dear Nikki, this could be my second post, the first one disapeared and I don't know if it's been posted or zapped!

Just to say eerything is crossed for you, fingers, toes, eyes.let us know either way we're all routing for you.

Re student lodgers, have you contacted college/uni/local hospital for a replacement?

Barb

Thanks for your wise words everyone. I am trying to keep busy - started painting the lounge but somehow just cannot get motivated to do much.

Have in fact looked through the jobs on offer and have already sent another CV out - not too sure it will pay enough money and its not what I really want to do but have asked the question because I don't want to expend time in preparing my CV, if in fact there is no chance of me accepting the job if offered because of pay.

What a good memory Peggy, I did in fact attend a open evening for tutoring, they were really interested, head of department asked me to stay behind and have a chat - then asked me to forward all my details which I duly did the following day. They replied saying thanks very much - start of term - very busy and wouldn't have a chance to look through it and reply until the following week - that was over a month ago!!! It's so annoying - why do people do this - I feel as though I am just wasting my time which I have very little to waste.

But will keep plugging away at it. As someone said everything is for a reason - I sometimes wished in my heart of hearts I could believe that but sometimes when everything is going wrong it's hard to beleive.

Thanks again - I will let you know outcome

Nikki

I have just read your post and just wanted to say that I have got everything crossed for you. I recently got my 1st teaching post (not such a big job as yours but ment everthing to me) I had been for a few interviews before and wasn't successful, went for this one and totally messed up the interview stage and came out just knowing I had not got it but I did. They told me my interview wasn't good but they could see that I was the right person for the job.

I feel that things happen for a reason and you will get the perfect job for you. If it isn't this one, then the job for you is round the corner.

My advice is don't give up, keep determined it will work out for the very best.

Nina :)

Keep your chin up Nikki, there's always someone worse off than yourself (not that it's much consolation). I'm sure the right job is out there waiting for you.

Oh yes, and ex's aren't allowed to financially unsupprtive when there are children involved, so don't let him get away with it!!!

Thinking of you,

Fox xxx

Dear Fox,

Don't get me going on that one - ex's not supporting - a friend of mine has been pursuing her husband through the CSA for three years without a penny - creative company accounts work wonders!! and the courts don't seem much of a help either. They can purchase a brand new expensive company car, they can invest in new technology, create fringe benefits etc etc. If your ex is self employed it is nigh on impossible to pursue them - they can query any notification as being inaccurate, it goes back into the system for a re-evaulation, it is then issued again, it is queried once again, your case gets passed to a different branch because they have too many queries and caseloads, this happened twice, the old/new branch then loses the papers, you then have to start the whole process again. I think I read somewhere that over the past three years they have only ever been successful in about 40% of the cases, there are millions of pounds owing and no-one seems to be held accountable. I think the chairman of the CSA resigned because of the atrocities that were happening within the CSA and was paid a handsome golden handshake. I am sure it works for some but the system sadly fails millions and for those who want to abuse it they can.

Nikki

I don't beleive it - I have just gone to the shops - was out for 10 minutes and the phone call came through at 6.30 when I was out and she told my son that she had the news on the job and she would phone a bit later or tomorrow.

I can't stand it - hopefully it will be tonight as I really want to be put out of my misery. Number was witheld so cannot phone back.

Nikki

Dear Nikki

Really sorry to hear all that (CSA stuff) - isn't it awful that some men don't want, or see the need (?) to support their own children. Makes me so cross :o . Keep turning the screws, maybe you will get somewhere eventually :(

As for that missed phonecall... that's soo typical. The exact sort of thing that always happens to me! (Along with visitors turning up on the most untidy day of the year xD )

Look forward to hearing some good news soon.

Fox

Reallykeeping my fingers crossed for you Nikki. I was in the same situation last week after (what I thought) was a terrible interview. The waiting is awful it just leads to self doubts. If I hadnt got my job I'd have been so upset so I really understand how you're feeling now. Hopefully the call will come through in the morning. Hope you manage to get a good nights sleep. :D

Dear everyone

once again thanks eveyrone for your thoughts - am sitting here and waiting - not quite as bad as going past your due date for having a baby - but nearly. Went to bed didn't sleep - Peggy you would have been proud of me I even thought of getting up at 5.00 to do the painting and tidying - but there again why torture myself further. Tried to analyse why I would get a phone call so early after the last set of interviews took place and why so late in the evening. Was it because they wanted to get it out the way and I had asked for feedback or was it, dare I say it that I may be offered the job. Who knows but hopefully I will fairly soon although to make matters worse I have trips to the orthidontist etc this morning and promised trips to the market with my kids - maybe will have to do ome retail therapy - but have no money but who cares - watch this space - now what can I do to take my mind of the dreaded phone call ..........oh yes, get the paint bush out ... get the house tidy - drink coffee - watch daytime tv -

Tired but not yet depressed Nikki

Well as I thought - I didn't get the job. I am a little disappointed but there you go - the feedback was interesting and in fact they score the answers to the questions and make their decisions based on this and I didn't score the highest - I recognised I fell apart here and could not verbalise so that was fair comment.

I asked who the successful applicants were, she seemed to skirt around this a bit, but one went to someone already working in the Childrens Centre, another who I think is already within the LA and she didn't mention the other two. She did say that the standard was very high - so off to complete an application form now for another job not with the LA - it's just so time consuming - as each time they need to be geared towards that particular job and I really don't seem to be able to pull together information from one to another, apart from the obvious of my name and address etc.

One thing is certainly has given me the interview experience - so all is not lost - I will know what to expect next time - if there is one.

Thanks for all your support over the past couple of days - it has been much appreciated.

Nikki

I'm so sorry Nikki,

it wasn't meant to be, something MUCH better will be waiting around the corner, i'm sure.

I too have been very disappointed in the past, but i couldn't be happier now, these things have a way of working it out.

(I think someone's upstairs looking down, steering us in the right direction!)

All the best and much love,

Twinkle*

:)

Hi Nikki

Sorry to read you didn't get the job. Glad to read you are applying for other jobs and remember, whoever employs you next will be very lucky.

Hope you are enjoying the sunshine with your children.

Take Care

love

Louise.

Sorry to hear you didn't get the job as they say it wasn't meant to be (not much comfort I know) You sound like a dedicated and hard working professional and anyone would be lucky to have you on their team so I'm sure you will snapped up soon

I hope it all works out for you and you find the job your looking for

jojo

Edited by Jo jo

Oh Nikki,

I had everything crossed for you too - obviously didn't work :o Like Rea said, in the not too distant future you will find something better and be glad but that doesn't really help your predicament at the moment. Keep at it - the right job is out there somewhere. :)

Dear Nikki

What rotten luck. Like everyone else, I am truly disappointed for you. At least you have the strength of character to bounce back and find the positives.

Wishing you all the best for the next one...

Fox

Once again, thanks everyone - you have been really great - this chapter has now closed - I've learnt an awful lot from it - I know more about powerpoint - I can give you evaluations on anything from breast feeding in Sheffield to Nottingham Universities model of involving parents. I am moving on, going to get a good nights sleep - up early (6.00 a.m.) for a bonding session with my 15 and 13 year old with their 3 friends fishing all day !!!!!!!!!! I can just hear the sighs of "how fantastic" ........ back to nature and carp and tench and the pouring rain!! I am taking my text books and lap top though so I will be working.

My next question is does anyone out there in cyberspace work for Bright Horizons? They have a position I am sort of interested in.

LOL

Nikki

on to the next chapter in your life then..........

Bright Horizons web page

hope it helps :D .

Well you learn something new every day, you like fishing. In my family, Course fishing is the family religion. But you cannot be serious taking books and laptop, should be banned with boileys, mobile phones and anything that uses brain cells other than those used to catch those oh so clever fish. Have a relaxing day with nature :D

Peggy