Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bad Day

Why is it somedays it dosnt matter how hard you work there are always complaints over trivial things at the end of the day?

I know our parents pay alot of money to send their children and sometimes it feels like the expect too much over and beyond what I can give them. Am sure they are the usual stuff in other centres but boy it really makes you question if its worth all the hassle.

I love working with the kids but the parents can drive you MAD rant rant rant!!!!!!!

Anyone got any magic ideas of how to calm down at the end of the day?

Moan over

Hi there,

What sort of setting are you in? You've probably told us, but I'm not good at remembering too much stuff.

Parents can easily be a pain in the b*m, but they are the people at the 'sharp end'. They may need you to help THEM!!

My experience is that sometimes carers feel vulnerable and moan to kind of assert their position? (Day Nursery, me )

Sue :D

Hi Yes I am in a day nursery too, I know parents can take it out on you at the end of the day when they cant be with their children, or dont think your doing everything the right way.

I think alot of it is because they pay a fair amount and so expect alot in return. Sometimes you just feel like a extension of their PA's, cleaners, other domestic staff. Everyone wants their fair share of what they think they should be getting and theres not enough of me to go around!

With you there!

It's very hard to strike the right balance, but don't give up on your parents!

It is hard to spread yourself, I know, but I find that being welcoming and reassuring all the time works not only for the children, but also the parents. Then they stop regarding you as the 'hired help' and start seeing you as someone who is actually interested in their child - THEN you get results!

Sue :D

Guest tinkerbell

Sorry you had a bad day yesterday akire

I think everyone working with children gets flak everynow and again from parents and it really hurts!Specially when you try really hard with them all and certain ones take that bit more out of you..have you noticed its their parents who are the ones who need your attention as well???

The gov white paper looks interesting as it seems to be giving parents MORE say into what should be happening in their childs education...and an education tailored to the needs of EACH child???

Gives us something to think about

anyway have a good day today

Tinkerbell

Whats the old saying? 'you can lead a horse...' No not that one. 'You can make some of the people happy some of the time but not all of the people happy all of the time'. Something like that! You can only try your best and be accomodating, friendly and helpful. In my experience parents dont understand enough of what we are trying to achieve and so complain or ask for the moon. Communication is often the key, but there are times when that can fail too.

Dont take it to heart, that way lies madness :o Learn from it, review what you do, and if you're happy that your practice is sound at least then you can argue your case.

I'd go along with ASPK :D:D

I know how you feel, and yes people are always wanting to complain over what seems the trivialities - but if I think of myself this normally manifests itself when I am tired, having a bad time and am just wanting to vent some sort of feeling - which I know is not right but sometimes I just cannot help it. But sometimes there is a much bigger picture. so as long as you feel comfortable with the complaint in the sense that you feel you have covered this particular area then you should not feel too aggrieved. But make sure that the complaint is what they are really moaning about and they are not upset about something completely different as is often the case. Does this make any sense?

Yes, life in a nursery is tough - we are all things to all people and sometimes I think too much is expected of us - we can only give what we can and in an ideal world wouldn't we all have at least an hours non-contact time during the day to catch up and prepare things, write up observations, re-veiw consultations, draw up our planning, tidy the cupboards, assemble missing jigsaws/games but no we have to do this more often that not in our own time. It's full on all day - even having a wee can be problematic if the ratios are bang on and the loo is not close by - it all needs careful planning!!

So as in the famous words of Scarlet O Hara "Tomorrows another day" so lets hope it's better for you. Chocolate I find helps or reading Hello or OK - or some other dribble - are those people in the real world and would you want to be there - yes sometimes, but not for the most - do they get as much satisfaction out of life. Don't answer that....

Nikki

I endorse all that has been said.

Akire, you mention a few times that parents are paying a lot, I don't know what your fees are but I put it into perspective once ( when I had to raise fees).

How many people use a car wash? £5 for 2 minutes :o ...I ask for £5 for 2 hours xD Clean car or childcare and education, where is your financial priority?

Peggy

Wow thank you all so much for your advice and concern!

Its good to hear that they are other people out there who know what its like, working in day nurserys is so different from schools or other settings in the hours you work and expectations.

Half term- whats half term?!!!!!

Not had such a bad day today, am hoping that the parents will realise I care about their children and and the end of the day I put them first and if I havnt had time to look for x, y z it will have to wait for another day.

Thanks for the tips its hard somtimes to leave work at work and switch off for the evening I will have to work harder at this I think. Off to munch some chocolate yummmm

• 3 months later...
Wow thank you all so much for your advice and concern!

Its good to hear that they are other people out there who know what its like, working in day nurserys is so different from schools or other settings in the hours you work and expectations.

Half term- whats half term?!!!!!

Not had such a bad day today, am hoping that the parents will realise I care about their children and and the end of the day I put them first and if I havnt had time to look for x, y z it will have to wait for another day.

Thanks for the tips its hard somtimes to leave work at work and switch off for the evening I will have to work harder at this I think. Off to munch some chocolate yummmm

41547[/snapback]

So glad that other practioners have the same problems with parents as i have. I am a registered childminder and have had a mum moaning today that i take her daughter 10 minutes late to preschool???

I explained i am trying to provide a service to all parents but she can only see her point of view that her daughter is "missing out".Its so hard to please everyone and sometimes as i work from home its hard to leave work at work so to speak??!!