Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tracking children, advice needed please

I am setting up a system to track every individual child within the setting after going on a tracking children's progress course. I have been advised to list the children in key groups and indicate which bands they are working in for each area. My question is how do I decide which age band to say the child is in? I have all staffs trackers for each children, and for example, one child has half psed complete for 30-50 months and half complete for 40-60 months, so which band would I say the child was in? If the 30-50 months isn't complete do I say they are in that band until every goal is achieved even tho half of the age band above is complete? Hope that makes sense, it's hard to out what I mean into words :(

I tend to go for a 'best fit' if most of the 30-50 phrases are highlighted and only a couple of 40-60 then would say 30-50. If only half of 30-50 done and half of 40-60 then again I would probably put them as 30-50 personally and maybe try and look at why the other phrases in 30-50 aren't done eg lack of provision in that area or just purely lack of evidence. I know what you mean though it is tricky and I would be interested to know how others do it too! For example when doing their progress check and banding them I won't put them into 22-36 for health and self care if they show absolutely no signs of toilet training/awareness as I perceive this to be quite a crucial part of 16-26. Very subjective though and hope that makes some sense!

• Like 1

I completely understand your dilemma as we often have the same issue! Our rule of thumb is that if they're achieving some in the next band up, but haven't completed the current band, unless it seems that a "major" part isn't covered (like the example woodlands1997 gave), we put them as emerging in the upper band.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)