Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

school settings - work shops for parents

our school have started doing workshops for parents, and have done year 6 first, and are now on year 1. the focus is maths. the children whose parents come to the workshop go into the school hall and do table-based activities with them to show how their child is learning maths in school. they want us to do the same in nursery, which i don't feel is appropriate, as our children will not want to sit doing activities at tables in the hall. i want to suggest a stay and play session instead, with parents stopping in nursery, not the hall, for an hour or so. 6 parents a day, so all class would be invited over the course of a week. and have a variety of activities on offer, with staff sitting at maths ones to explain what children get from the activity, and how they can help at home.

does anyone do stay and play or these workshops? would love to hear more, and if you think we should be going in hall as suggested. and what about reception? i would suggest the same as us, but they could have all maths activities if they feel it is appropriate?

We actually do workshops for our parents on how babies/children learn and parents have found them very beneficial - it doesn't have to be 'sit at an activity' type format, just something similar to continuous provision.

I held one on learning to read and write and we didn't have a single activity involving pencil and paper! the parents found this strange at the beginning but soon understood at the end.

Others we have done include messy play, developmental movement, phonics

We actually do workshops for our parents on how babies/children learn and parents have found them very beneficial - it doesn't have to be 'sit at an activity' type format, just something similar to continuous provision.

I held one on learning to read and write and we didn't have a single activity involving pencil and paper! the parents found this strange at the beginning but soon understood at the end.

Others we have done include messy play, developmental movement, phonics

this sounds great. are you nursery too? did you do it in nursery?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)