Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Advice needed please-silly behaviour

Hi

Not sure if I have put this in the correct place. I am an nqt in reception class and would like some advice on how best to deal with silly behaviour. I have been observed regularly by both my headteacher and mentor and so far recieved good for my observed lessons and both gave said I am doing well however some days I feel I am struggling with silly behaviour. It is from a minority of children but they then influence the more sensible children. It began after one of the more difficult children began attention seeking behaviour and they seem to be copying. One even said if im silly in assembly can I sit next to you! This is not all the time but we are due ofsted any day and I do not want to let the FS or school down. It is usually only low level disruption such as silly noises, giggling and shouting out but it is happening more often. Does anyone have any advice about how best to deal with this as I don't want the problem to get any worse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you x

• Like 1

Hi I have been teaching in Reception for nearly 10 years now and find the best strategy that works for me is to ignore negative behaviour and really focus on the positives. I think massively praising the children who are doing what you ask can be very effective in encouraging the others to do the same. We use smiley flowers where the children earn happy faces for positive things that happen throughout the day and if they gan 5 happy faces they get a treat.

We also have a smiley face chart where every child has a happy face card a straight face card and a unhappy face card. They begin every day with a happy face but if they are disruptive or break rules their face is changed to a straight and they are spoken to about the choice which they have made. They then have a chance to do the correct thing or continue as they are if they continue to break rules their face is changed to an unhappy one and they have a little time out. The focus is on the child's choice and they are able to have their happy face back if they make an effort to correct their behaviour. We find it really works in our setting and the children become very concerned if any of their friends do not have a happy face.

Thank you for your advice. We have clouds up to a rainbow and each time they reach the rainbow they get a prize. We also have a happy, straight and sad face which worked really well at the beginning of they year but the children now seem less bothered which face they are on. I have made a more conscious effort to be positive and to focus on the good behaviour and things have better today. Also helped to realise that many are doing the right thing just the odd few not. Will keep trying to be positive and hopefully this will work with others.

Thank you :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)