Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Special Needs Qualifications

Hi Girls and Guys.

I know I have posted in the past about S&L coourses. However I'm just wondering how may of you out there are in the same boat. On friday last week I had a teacher training day for support staff, which entailed courses available. Now I know every area is different, but I just wonder we have a NVQ for teaching assistant, with a small unit on special needs and we have the NVQ 3 again the special needs is optional. (Ibe recently been told I cant do this unit because I'm not in a special school) so the point of my NVQ is....

Would any of you be interested in doing say an NVQ for a general special needs or a specific i.e autism or speech and language. I would love to hear your thoughts.

What amazes me is 80% of the time Teaching assistants take out small groups of children with perhaps slower learning or learning difficulties. I personally am attached to a statemented child but have no support. I am currently doing a project run course but I had to find that myself and take part in it during half term.

Anyone else feel the same....

Again would love to hear your thoughts and what your area would be..

Mandi

Hi there, I agree with what you are saying alot of my friends who work with special needs, on a one to one basis or a group, some dont have any specific qualifications in this area.

Lucky some of them have NVQ but some do not.

And there dosnt seem to be much around except for the odd inset training day. Its a shame that those who need prehaps the more expert help in school

I wish you luck in trying to support the children you work with Im sure they appreciate it!

Hi Mandi

You know my feelings on this matter - The same as yours!

The courses I have been on are very basic 1/2 or 1 day insets.

The longer courses (which generally don't seem to be that useful anyway) are usually in London and/or cost a small fortune.

An NVQ or similar would be fantastic.

Jo

I know Jo, youre name sprang to mind as I was writing it. Let you know how I go, it might be a route worth taking further...Watch this space.

Mand

Hi Mandi

You know my feelings on this matter - The same as yours!

The courses I have been on are very basic 1/2 or 1 day insets.

The longer courses (which generally don't seem to be that useful anyway) are usually in London and/or cost a small fortune.

An NVQ or similar would be fantastic.

Jo

41387[/snapback]

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)