Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Enhancing Continuous Provision

Can you tell me

We have continuous provision with many different workshop areas, ie construction small world , graphics, cosy area etc

When adding enhancements to these area do you link to a learning intention - is this then added for the week or changed daily. How do others do this?

As we have been 'introduced to a weekly planner' Monday to Friday along the top and workshop areas down the side it was suggested we record on here the enhancement but it infers we change it daily or do you think I am misunderstanding

Thanks

Hi Sharonash!

This is precisely why I don't use this type of weekly planner - it feels unnatural to leave empty boxes as enhancements can be out for differing amounts of time depending on the children's needs and interest in the resource etc. So some of the enhancements we put out might be just for the day, for a couple of days, for a week, for 2 weeks and some become part of the continuous provision for a more extended period of time.

If the enhancement is linked to the learning focus for the teacher-led activities then this is written underneath the activity section of our plan in italics. If the enhancement is for an individual or a group then this is written at the bottom of our main plan - we record the purpose and/or the AOL e.g. I might write - to develop pincer grip (PD) then list the resources/activity.

If something is added through the week this is written on the child-initiated record - so you can see why we have put out a particular resource as we record the observation, the adult response/outcome, then any further response (which is where we write any enhancements).

I think with the sort of plan that you have been given this is just a format to record what will or has been put out so if you change or add to the enhancements through the week then this can be added accordingly.

Hope that helps,

Green Hippo x

Hi Greenhippo

Am interested in your planning format I often feel our planning is filling in boxes for the sake of filling boxes. Are you able to offer more details of how yours work or (cheeky I know) a template showing headings etc.

Thanks Joanne

• Like 1

Hi Joanne123,

My planning format (which I have adapted from another kind member on here!) has just got all the areas of learning down the left had side with space to write the learning focus(es), then the middle column is headed 'activities/resources' with 2 small boxes underneath one for 'look, listen and note' and the other titled 'children' (here I identify which groupings and different abilities with initials), then the final column is for 'evaluation/next steps'. So in the activities/resources section I would identify the adult led activity for each area of learning (sometimes this isn't an actual activity but how the adults will promote the skills through CI play), then under this in italics I would write any enhancements that link with the learning focus. For example; Learning focus: To begin to write with a purpose in mind. The in italics under the TL activity Role-play: Set up role-play as a baby clinic, add appointment books and record cards for mark-making. Writing area: Create a card-writing box with real laminated cards with appropriate writing inside e.g. To Mummy, Love from...

Then at the bottom I have added a separate table with 4 columns: Area of provision, AOL/Purpose, Activities/resources/children - I use this table to record other enhancements that are not directly linked to the weekly objectives e.g. for individuals or small groups of children- following a particular need or interest and general 'thematic' additions.

My other sheet is on A3 and again is a simple table with columns: Observation (who, when, where), Outcome/Adult response, Further response/completed? And we record retrospectively significant CI play that we have responded to or want to extend further. Any further enhancements are outlined here (if I remember I add this to the other plan but as long as it's written somewhere I try not to worry too much!

Hope that helps

Green Hippo x

• Like 1

I to use a weekly sheet and put the enhancement in a box, if it is for a particular child we put their initials in a red pen for all staff to see. I was told by our development office that it was not favourable to see all boxes filled in as the continuous areas at the side are what you have out all the time and you might not have enhancements on every area every day. If we have spontaneous things that the children add, eg we have just set up a designated construction area and today the children put dinosaurs in and last week it was cars. we then add this to the particular day.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)