Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

"stranger Danger" Awareness

I have got to plan 4 short sessions around developing stranger danger awareness for my course. I am planning to base it on KS1 age group. I thought about Little Red Riding Hood for one of the topics, anyone any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks

:o

What about getting your local community policeman/woman in - they have lots of resources, leaflets etc. I was about to say you could set up a police station in your home corner but I guess you may not have that luxury in Key Stage 1. We had the mounted police in - they were fantastic but boy are those horses big!!! Quite frightening. What about the book Smiley Shark - things/people are not always who/what they appear in the first instance. I will try and think of something more, brain has switched off over half term.

Nikki

Circle time, discussion on feelings. What makes them feel safe, what makes them feel unsafe / insecure. What rules ( if any) do they have about opening the front door at home. It's ok to say No talks. This is something I think that can be introduced through stories like the ones suggested but also to encourage the children to think in their own contexts that is relevant to them. What would they do if they got lost in a store? etc etc. Even with my four year olds at preschool, it never ceases to amaze me the conversations we have if we just take the time to ask thought provoking questions. We sometimes underestimate the quality and depth of the responses we may get.

peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)