Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Subtraction

Hi everyone

I have a maths observation next week. Feeling at little worried as I am doing subtraction. Last year i was observed on subtraction too, but the children spent 2 consecutive weeks on it. However this year we spent last week on it, and this week we have done nothing due to it being maths journey week. Next week is my observation and just do not feel confident.

My observation will based on the police and Burglar Bill. So far I will be using Burglar Bill on a cube so that children can move him down a ladder to count back and find one less in my warm up. In my main I will be doing some subtraction with burglar Bills bag and coins.

Main activity: Burglar Bills coins in a bag- How many have I taken away?

Independent table top: subtraction jigsaws/ 1 less nursery rhymes/ counting coins and crossing out to find how many left/ post office role play -how much change left when paying for an item.

Sand: ordering coins.

Just wondering if anyone had any other ideas for continuous provision or independent activities. I have some very low ability children who find it hard to remain focused at an activity independently.

Really appreciate you ideas/experiences.

Thank you

Sunai87

Is this any use?

Print and laminate the 'loot bag' after cutting out the 'slot'. Print and laminate the coin 'bar'. The children can slide the coins out of the loot bag talking about how many/how many left etc.

Another activity - have a empty clean baked bean tin, or similar, blindfold the child (Burglar Bill?) and he has to count how many coins by listening as you drop them one at a time into the tin - could be done in pairs but will need adult to demonstrate.

Good luck!

Loot bag.docx

Edited by Guest

Thank you so much really appreciate this! what a wonderful idea. Sorry dont understand the loot bag activity. DO I need to cut the coins up or leave them in the bar?

Thank you so much really appreciate this! what a wonderful idea. Sorry dont understand the loot bag activity. DO I need to cut the coins up or leave them in the bar?

Leave the coins on the bar and use the bar to slide into the slot in the loot bag - both laminated for strength. Pull out the bar to reveal a coin/s. If there are 6 coins in the bag and I pull out 3 coins, how many are left?

Hope that makes sense!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)