Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Supporting a practitioner in learning how to supervise

Hi,

I hope this is the right board and I apology if not,

I have a practitioner who is brilliant in small groups but is struggling with the "bigger picture" supervision. For example the practitioner will be sat with a child doing an activity and not notice what the child 3feet away from her is doing even if it is potentially harmful to said child. As you can imagine this is become somewhat of a issue within the setting.

Im having a meeting with the practitoner tomorrow and plan to put mentoring in place to help.

But my question is how do you teach someone to pay attention to what is going on in the room whilst doing an activity.

Any tips or hints greatly appreciated

xx

I believe that is has been pointed out before but by previous managers but support wasn't followed up so not sure how aware of the extent of the issue they are.

plan is highlight it to them and see where we go from there but trying to think how to support them in learning the skill particularly as i want to offer them support to improve rather then just knocking their confidence as previous managers have done.

xx

Maybe you could go through a few things like thinking about positioning, where would be a good place to do the activity? Why would that be? Where would you have the best view of everything going on? You could do an observation on them and then feedback, positives first to I've confidence and then maybe one or 2 pointers after? Don't know if that's any use!!xx

• Like 1

Hmmm, l get that a lot at my nursery, l think this is quite common, l just put it down to staff not using their initiative really, which annoys me, you said previous managers have knocked confidence, might not be so, its just frustrating calling in staff so often regarding the same subject, which can test the patient of a saint, what about staff sitting down not interacting, with children running all over :angry: let me stop Goodluck

• Like 1