Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Childrens Drawings

I have a little boy in my year 1 class who draws stick people. I know that this is a sign of immaturity but i would like to find out more about childrens drawings. Can anyone help?

There's a very good book on children's drawing by John Matthews. I have the details at home and I'll post them later if you'd like. He observed mainly his own children's drawings from an early age & followed them through. There's quite a lot of info on their schematic interests etc. it might not be quite what you're looking for but it's a fascinating read.

I think there's something in 'Threads of Thinking' (Nutbrown) if you can access a copy.

We had a little boy who only ever drew disjointed stick people at Nursery. Gradually, as he had a degree of language imipairment, we came to realise he was obsessed with skeletons and sure enough as he developed so did his drawings, to include ribs, multiple bones in hands etc! We didn't intervene too much as he was clearly working through a schema, but had a group session using layered people puzzles, (under first layer - clothes, there was a boy or girl in underwear & with skin, under that was the blood, and organs, and the layer under that was the skeleton). He did add skin to one of his pictures during this session but I think it was merely to satisfy us!

What about a session of observational drawing or painting with a mirror?

You're right about the Cathy Nutbrown book, LJW.

The one I had in mind was 'Drawing & Painting: Children & Visual Representation' by John Matthews, published by Paul Chapman Publishing, I have the 2nd edition which is ISBN 0-7619-4786-8

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)