Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Areas In Reception

Ive a few questions regarding the areas in reception,

I am setting up new areas such a fine motor area and investigation area and I was wondering how other people plan for these areas.

Do people just have a the same thing in the area for the week or do u change it on a daily basis?

I was going to make a 1/2 term plan with the weeks, theme, and suggested resourse in colums and stick this up in the area. Has anyone already got these up or does this sound like a silly idea?

Any ideas would be helpful

thanks

This is my first year in Reception and, despite some reservations, I am actually really enjoying it. I've attached my first ever attempt at a half termly plan for the areas in my classroom. Hope it is of some use to you. It really is a working document and I have made some changes each week. Although initially the activities first thing in the morning stay the same all week some of the areas change daily (ICT, writing etc) for Numeracy and Literacy objectives. We also learn a new game every week which is then available for them to play.

Autumn_2005_1st_half.doc

I do a weekly planner for Literacy and Numeracy which includes activities for some of the areas which the children can access freely, as well as guided activities. I also do a half termly topic plan with whole class teaching to include Knowledge and Understanding of the World. For PE I use the Val Sabin scheme which is very good and easy to follow.

Hope this is OK for you.

Hi Shooting Star

I have begun to use a planning format very similar to Earliedawes. Previously I wrote individual plans for each area of learning, but found it was very time consuming and didn't work well :o . I find Earliedawes way of doing it much easier, everything is on one sheet of paper, albeit A3 size :) . With regard to how often to change activities I find that it varies. I try to gage children's interest, if they are not using something I either put in more adult input to see if that helps or I change it for something different. I often find what one group of children enjoy another won't.

Debbie

Your planning is wonderful. My head teacher expects something different on the malleable table, painting table and gluing and sticking table, construction area etc every day. My topic for next half term is light, dark and colour. You dont happen to have any planning for that do you. I feel at quite at a loss at the moment and would really appreciate your help.

Jan

x

Hi Debbie2

you mention ed that you used Earliedawes planning system, can you tell me what it is?

Thanks

Ruth

Edited by rualprice

Hi Debbie2

you mention ed that you used Earliedawes planning system, can you tell me what it is?

Thanks

Ruth

40951[/snapback]

Take a look - it's in post 2 of this topic :D

Hi Jan

My topic for next half term is also colour but as yet I haven't written the complete plans. I've pooled together a load of ideas for all the areas with the 2 wonderful TAs that work in my classroom. I will also be using ideas from one of the Foudation Themes books called (funnily enough) Colours which is available from Scholastics ISBN 0-439-98462-9. The first 3 weeks of my literacy will be planned around the book Handas Surprise (lots of colourful fruit).

Hope this of some use to you. :)

Edited by Guest

Hi Jan

I've pooled together a load of ideas for all the areas with the 2 wonderful TAs that work in my classroom. 

40975[/snapback]

Wow, TWO TA's. You're very lucky!!

1 TA for four mornings and 1 in the afternoon - but still very lucky and extremely appreciative. :o

Edited by Guest

You are very lucky to have such very good TA's. I have a TA who has been at the school for nearly 20 years. All she does is criticise everything I do. She is the most untidy TA I have ever met and if she can get away with does not put things away properly. She does no planning what so ever, and would refuse to if I asked her. That is why I want my planning to be perfect. I have just bought the little book of light and shadow and that is full of fantastic ideas. The thought of going back after half term fills be with dread. Ty for you reply

Jan

You are very lucky to have such very good TA's.  I have a TA who has been at the school for nearly 20 years.  All she does is criticise everything I do.  She is the most untidy TA I have ever met and if she can get away with does not put things away properly.  She does no planning what so ever, and would refuse to if I asked her.  That is why I want my planning to be perfect.  I have just bought the little book of light and shadow and that is full of fantastic ideas.  The thought of going back after half term fills be with dread.  Ty for you reply

Jan

41047[/snapback]

I know where you're coming from, and I feel for you Jan!

Hi Jan

Sorry to hear that you have such a raw deal with your TA, makes me even more grateful for the two that I have. Have a peaceful and relaxing half term hols. :)

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)