Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Counting on and backwards

counting on and backwards. hi i was wondering how everyone else tackles this one. Last year we counted forwards and backwards on number lines and practiced addition counting on putting biggest number n head and then counting on using fingers. Am about to tackle it again and wondered if anyone else has any good ideas?

I always used counting, on and backwards, from 1 and other starting numbers as part of a mental starter/warm up activity before whole class number sessions and making sure that the children knew we were using the numbers in the counting order or that they were counting in 2s etc. I think its a skill that needs to be over taught to become automatic but also needs to be understood! Its also an activity that can be used to fill in odd waiting moments or more specifically as you describe.

I think it deserves a daily slot on the timetable whatever else you might be focusing on.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)