Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Guided Reading in Reception

Hi all,

I am an NQT in Reception and am being observed in guided reading next week. Currently I don't feel like I teach guided reading well enough, and am very worried about this observation!!

I will have a small group (5/6 children) and will sit with them to do a teacher-led guided reading session, whilst my TA supports the rest of the class during child-initiated activities. This is what I was planning on doing for my session, if anyone could offer any advice on whether this sounds ok??

Warm up- revise current phonemes using flashcards with that group (including phonemes that they may come across in the book).

-Revise/practise/teach tricky words/HFW that the children will come across in the book.

-Introduce the book- look at the cover- point to the text/title. Can you find this phoneme in the title? Talk about the picture- what might this story be about?

-Open book and model blending to read- children to follow and practice themselves. Model using the picture to help with reading the words. Children to then walk through the book independently, talking about the pictures and attempting to read the words in the book whilst I listen to each child individually.

-Finish with revising any words the children found tricky- then direct them to a challenge in the continuous provision (we use challenge cards for each child- the challenge will be linked to reading or comprehension of some sort).

Whilst this session is going on my TA will be working with some children who need targeted support for reading, and the rest of the class will be accessing phonics or reading activites- these include using the listening centre; fine-motor activities such as threading letters, playdough; using cvc picture cues to write cvc/cvcc words; independent or shared reading in the book corner.

Does this sound like an okay guided reading session? It usually lasts about 15mins as I find the small group I work with cannot concentrate for long than this. Any feedback or ideas really appreciated!! Really want to do well with this observation and improve my guided reading sessions.

Thanks

Hi,

It sounds great but it sounds like quite a lot and quite a lot of concentrating for 15 mins?

But what do I know.. I am rubbish at Guided Reading with Reception and really feel they still gain most from individual reading at this stage.

Hope it goes well for you.

Hi,

It sounds great but it sounds like quite a lot and quite a lot of concentrating for 15 mins?

But what do I know.. I am rubbish at Guided Reading with Reception and really feel they still gain most from individual reading at this stage.

Hope it goes well for you.

I completely agree with you!! I am just being told to do what the school expects.... they want reception to have proper guided reading sessions- however I haven't been following the strict procedure above because the children are just not ready for it. However if I do what I normally do I feel I will be criticised by SLT for not following the correct guided reading teaching sequence... :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)