Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Behaviour chart

we have used one this year for a girl whose behaviour was terrible - pinching children's faces, pulling hair hitting etc. we split the session into 4 parts using pictures from our visual timetable, and she got a sticker for each session she did not hurt anyone. we focussed on behaviour only, so as not to confuse her. mum rewarded successes too. touch wood within 2 weeks all hurting stopped, and we just remind her to use her kind hands during the session. she was kept under close supervision during the 2 weeks to prevent incidents and show her what the reward was for not hurting. we continued the chart, until we were sure she would not regress. we took a section off each couple of weeks, so that she was eventually left with one session when she had a chance of a sticker and it was her really dodgy time (last free play time, and gettng tired!). so she had to work hard to get it!!! what sort of behaviour are you having problems with?

We have but to be honest we don't really like them although they can be successful in the short term. What we did try most recently was a chart for the all the children to the child concerned did not get singled out (this was a bit of a problem with other parents let alone the children) and it also rewarded the children that are always behaving appropriately. We had a sun and a cloud and a black cloud. using pictures of all the children (passport size) we started the day with everyone on the sunshine and the idea is that they have to stay there. If something undesirable happens they go to the cloud and then they can go up or down depending on what happens next. We made if very easy to start with to get back to sun and as every body got the idea we did toughen up a little on the 'repeat offenders' ;) at the end of the session everybody on the sunshine got a small sweet (and I can hear the objections already) :ph34r: but it worked and we were desperate so I make no apologies. ;) we also spent time each morning discussing what appropriate behaviour looks like (how do children know what kind means, or how to behave, be good or anything else we might be tempted to ask of them)

Honestly it did work however like I said I am not entirely sure if I think behaviourist models are the best in the long term but it did beat children getting hurt and that was what needed to happen fast!!!

i don't think our girl knows why she shouldn't be hurting or that she is, it just stopped her being scapegoated by children and parents, and means we can teach in the room she is playing in, rather than having to watch her constantly and prevents children being hurt. i feel the end justifies the means!!! she has delays and is like a yound toddler!! the chart was discretely placed in her group time area with no name/photo and where parents would not see it. we just said we were helping her to use her kind hands and children accepted it and never really showed much interest. we do of course discuss what kind hands means and appropriate behaviour looks like and why we need our rules, but she was functioning at 16-26 for MFB in PSE so this is above her head......... she has now made enormous strides in this aspect. thank goodness!!!

i have used a whole class smiley face chart as johanna for reception, and it worked really well too

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)