Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

First Parents Evening

I have my first parents evening this week and have to admit I am a little nervous. Does anyone have a format that they follow for this? I am not sure exactly what I should be talking about. I have thought about how they have settled, but should I talk about the curriculum guidance or the profile? Should I be setting targets? I had thought I may just give some suggestions for at home. I only have 10 minutes so it seems like alot to fit in. Help!

Hi i have my parents evening next week too. I would ask your head about targets. At my school in recpetion we talk about how the child has settled, share targets and then ask the parents for their opinions/questions.

What I tend to do with parents evenings (I have mine this week) is to first ask the parents whether they have any concerns or issues they wish to discuss. I then take them through the 'report' which I've written for the occasion, elaborating where necessary, then discussing any points arising from it. At this stage in the year I would be inclined to do as you said, & focus more on the settling in than targets, but I would think about targets for those keen parents...

Hi Matilda

I give a general overview of how the child is settling in, ask parents if they have any concerns and give some pointers about particular things we are working on with that child, so that parents can give some support at home. I find that that's about all I have time for. Ten minutes goes very quickly. I try to stay on schedule otherwise parents with later times end up waiting for ages. I sometimes find that parents are nervous themselves because its a quite a formal event, (even though they talk to me every day as their child comes in). I always find the thought of open evenings is worse than the actual event!

Good luck

Debbie

Do you fill in the profile (parents part) during the meeting? I am planning on sharing some ways they can help their child but I was worried that I didn't have it recorded formally.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)