Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Whatever Next

hi all,

two of my staff went on BTTM training yesterday, came back and told me some very strange things

1) i shouldnt be planning at all (if only)

2) i should have NO structure what so ever, like a story time, or music and movement time - stories should be when the children wanted one -which we do but also have a quite story time at the end of the session.

3) that BTTM will soon be changing to birth to five or even six, and the BTTM and FS will all become one.

but worst of all,

4) they were told that the lunches (im a full day care setting) shouldnt be at a set time and children should be able to have their lunch when they choose to. forgive me for being thick, but does this mean they can have lunch at 9.30 in the morning if they wish to?

how am i meant to staff this? and if the children are eating lunch in the

2 1/2 hour session they are funded, then i am not offering those 2 1/2 hours as education and wouldnt be able to except funding.

im in a preschool playgroup in a village hall (one large room) and take children from 2 - 4.11

has anyone else been told any of this? i understand the need for less structure, but come on, they dont even want me to have a set lunch break.

i have my link teacher coming in next week, so i will be asking her what is going on.

must also say, one of my staff who attended the training began to question the tutor and she didnt like it at all and got quite annoyed that she was being challenged. i encourage all my staff to ask questions at training sessions, they are so used to me questioning them at work! afterall, i belive thats how we all learn - evaluation and reflection - or is that just for the childrens development?

i will fill you in on what my link teacher tells me next week, might even be able to post it on the forum while i have my lunch break - about 10.00am then!!!!!

Well, Ruthie!

-Your link teacher shouldn't be involved in Birth to three matters- Link Teachers are for FS support. You need to be talking to your Early Years Support person regarding BTTM.

-Planning should be only minimal - provision should come from your observations - after all these are very young children

-Yes, it will be changing, in around about 2007, to Birth to 5, encompassing BTTM amd FS

-All life experiences are learning, so are acceptable experiences

As for lunches - well that's fine if you're in a daycare setting! I feel all that your staff member has been told, while basically correct, is inappropriate for the setting that you have told us you are.

Correct and argue with me, please. I'm disturbed by what you say. Funding shouldn't come in to the equation with BTTM, as yet

Sue :o

thanks sue R,

your right, the funding does not come into it. its only the under 3's this will effect- my mistake. but as a mixed age group in one room it does effect all the children.

i always go to the link teacher because we dont seem to have a early years support person. all the old daycare advisers have seemed to of disapeared. when i have phoned early years, they tell me to discuss it with my link teacher.

our planning is very minimal, based on what they like doing and extending on it.

thanks for your help

Surely when you go on a course like that, you take away from it what you need. People don't usually say dogmatically 'this is how it should be' in this context. More like 'have you thought about it from this angle'. Sometimes people throw in some quite radical ideas, just to get people thinking through & evaluating what they're doing & why. Might this not be the case here? Otherwise maybe it was a trainer with strong personal views which I can't see you have to take on board if it's not for you.

Like you, I'm not sure if we have an early years support person. We have a preschool development officer, but I don't think she'd advise on this. But I have to admit, I hope they don't send another expert round to help us! Personally I'd prefer more resources at ground level and be able to pay my staff a better wage.

Hmm, you really should have an advisor for BTTM, especially as things are at 'all change' with Every Child Matters, which is much more BTTM oriented than FS. We have both, and have good relationships all round. Our EY support has been brilliant at supporting us in changes we are making to accommodate Every Child Matters (can I refer to it as ECM, please, fed up with typing it already!), and I have become good friends with the Link Teacher, who I work with mostly.

But then, I have always felt that both Nottingham City and Notts County EY Teams (and I've worked with both) are excellent, with real partnership and commitment to excellence in our settings. John Thorn, the Notts leader is a sound chap who has a very strong grasp of all the issues involved.

Are we just lucky, here in the East Midlands? How does anyone else rate their support?

Sue :D

I thought I was in the East Midlands - although 'they' are still discussing that I believe!

I personally have a good relationship with our support teacher - they just broadened out her role from Area SENCO this Autumn- but I've heard others form different settings sounding off at some length because thay feel the approach of the whole service has been quite patronising. For instance, insisting on writing IEPs with managers who've been doing the job - and getting excellent OFSTED reports - all along.

Sorry, Weightman!

I suppose it was just a bit easier than saying, Nottm, Notts, Derbys - I get bored typing the same things too often, easily done with me (sign of a tiny mind?? :o )

I'm glad you have a good relationship, anyway! Interestingly enough, in my area, they've just absorbed the Senco support into the duties of the team of Link Teachers! I suppose the net result is the same, though :)

I was damned by Ofsted in 2003 ( yes I know it was 2 yrs ago) for not having enough structure or a clear routine. I said, "I do have a routine, the children arrive, polay, have lunch, play then go home"

We do have stories, singing, group times during the course of the day, but at a time that is informed by the children and how they are playing.

I am a preschool, full day care registered ( over 4 hrs) with children 2yrs-4.11yrs.

Have you seen the sheet that links National standards, BTTM, FSC and ECM-5 outcomes? This is a useful tool to enable you to link all your planning, including retrospective plans which detail the childrens spontaneous learning through play.

I agree with weightman, and ruthie, have faith in your own knowledge and experience, offer what you feel is appropriate for your 2 yr olds and reflect how they meet the 5 outcomes and BTTM criteria.

Peggy

links_outcomes_standards_BTTM_FSC.doc

Just to point out here, that I am firmly in agreement with you all. Was just picking up on points made. Would hate anyone to get a wrong impression of where I'm coming from, and that is the children come first, middle and last

I work in nottingham city and agree Sue the ey team are really supportive in the city anyway. They always fight our corner and make sure we are not forgotten.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)