Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reading

Our Deputy is obsessed with reading.I think she would love it if we just let children read all day. What is bugging me is that she comes into the classroom at anytime and takes chn out for individual reading. It disturbs the class and takes children away from other activities. She also pushes children who are not ready to read and i feel it is having a negative effect on them. How can i make her realise what she is doing is wrong without being rude to her?

Hi Rocket,

What sort of setting are you in? Is your deputy involved with planning? maybe at planning stage you could ask her which children and when would she like to read with them, and ask what Foundation Stage Learning outcome she would be focusing on at that time? (Just for assessment purposes, of course :o )

I agree, reading and the use of books should be enjoyed by children, at their own pace. Basic skills agency have some lovely booklets, advise sheets etc for early years and ways to read with the child to encourage a love of books.

If all else fails, do you have a line manager you could speak to?

Good luck,

Peggy

this can be a problem especially as it is the duputy. i have this alot with the head teacher. he has not got a clue about the foundation stage and asks the children to do impossible things as well as telling me 'off' for allowing them free play, it makes me agry. i try to explain things but in one ear out the other, there is no reasoning with him.

Hi

I feel quite shocked that your Deputy comes into your room and 'takes children out!' What if you are doing an Obs? How disruptive and, to be honest, rude! But its a difficult one!

What wonderful advice from Peggy - is she involved at the planning stage? My understanding of the whole reading thing in Reception is that IT IS NOT BEST practise to take children out to read especially during child initiated sessions - this really is a big no no.

Could go on about reading but won't!!!!!!!!!!

HI rocket, this is a really difficult one and it may be that you will have no choice but to grin and bear it. You are in year 1, arent you? Does she do this in other classes? Do you get any feedback? It could be that if you ask how the children are doing you will be able to have some input into activities or games that could be more beneficial? Is there any way she could come into the classroom and play reading games, word or sound lottos or bingo etc?? These could be played with a group and if the slot were timetabled at least you and the children would be prepared.

Good luck.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)