Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Birthday maths

Hi All,

I have a lesson observation based on the Charlie and Lola Birthday story. Has anyone got any really good problem solving activities for this? I have a laying the table activity? just wondered if there were some good ideas?

Many Thanks

I dont know the story but here are some birthday/party ideas off the top of my head.

Which piece of wrapping paper matches which present- could you wrap a football with a stamp sized piece of paper?

Sharing candles between cakes.

Party bags with numbers on- count the presents and put the right amount in the bag- number recognition plus counting skills.

Just some ideas, hope they help.

Bec

I dont know the story but here are some birthday/party ideas off the top of my head.

Which piece of wrapping paper matches which present- could you wrap a football with a stamp sized piece of paper?

Sharing candles between cakes.

Party bags with numbers on- count the presents and put the right amount in the bag- number recognition plus counting skills.

Just some ideas, hope they help.

Bec

Thanks Bec for your help

• Like 1

Could you do some cooking with them? In small groups - making cup cake 'birthday cakes', measuring the correct amount of ingredients, making sure you have enough of everything etc. Or you could use pre made (or bought) cakes and decorate with icing and little cake decorations (problem solving to make sure each cake has the same amount of decorations)

Traditional party games with a twist? Something like Pass the Parcel with numbered birthday presents inside. Once all unwrapped, order presents or count out corresponding amount of candles.

Birthday cards and envelopes - you could have a selection of cards and envelopes and children have to find out which cards fit inside which envelopes.

• Like 1

Could you do some cooking with them? In small groups - making cup cake 'birthday cakes', measuring the correct amount of ingredients, making sure you have enough of everything etc. Or you could use pre made (or bought) cakes and decorate with icing and little cake decorations (problem solving to make sure each cake has the same amount of decorations)

Traditional party games with a twist? Something like Pass the Parcel with numbered birthday presents inside. Once all unwrapped, order presents or count out corresponding amount of candles.

Birthday cards and envelopes - you could have a selection of cards and envelopes and children have to find out which cards fit inside which envelopes.

this is all really helping thank you

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)