Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning Journey/Books to display work?

Zobo

Hi again everyone,

Please can you help? I've returned to FS after a gap of 7 yrs!! Eeeeek - Im really confused about the whole Learning journey/ Work to show to parents thing!

I've picked up where the previous teacher left off, she did the follwing:

• One A4 size book (we call then topic books) with children's work in ( Things like pictures or paintings -annonated with notes about which bit of DEV Mat it covers, also had in photos etc.
  • She also had a seperate file with all the post-its and stickers in, along with any planned observations in there! That also contained a tracker for the Dev Mat.

What do you all do? I just dont know why it's all seperate, surely it should be all in one place. I'm also struggling to know what type of 'work' to save to show parents, ie. things they have made, photocopies of things they may have written on a whiteboard etc. So far what I have seems very scrappy and not very nice to look at, I know that's not the point, but would like some ideas on how to present what I have to the parents. (Im panicking - I have a parents eve fast approaching!)

Thank u xxxxx

We use A4 size books with the built in poly pockets, display books I think they are called.

Our reception teacher uses A4 folders and adds poly pockets as necessary.

In mine there's photos, post it's, obs, work, whatever marks the child's journey during their time with us in nursery.

I can't see why the previous teacher had separate places for everything!

The items in the book are linked to the learning outcomes (as they are now called) or as we practitioners know them the developmental matters statements.

I number and date them and use these numbers and dates on a tracker at the back of the folder so I can see where I have evidence ie which areas of learning I have evidence for.

I think every setting finds a manageable way of doing their learning journeys. There isn't one set way to suit all.

I am sure you will find what suits you!

Good luck x

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again everyone,

Please can you help? I've returned to FS after a gap of 7 yrs!! Eeeeek - Im really confused about the whole Learning journey/ Work to show to parents thing!

I've picked up where the previous teacher left off, she did the follwing:

• One A4 size book (we call then topic books) with children's work in ( Things like pictures or paintings -annonated with notes about which bit of DEV Mat it covers, also had in photos etc.
  • She also had a seperate file with all the post-its and stickers in, along with any planned observations in there! That also contained a tracker for the Dev Mat.

What do you all do? I just dont know why it's all seperate, surely it should be all in one place. I'm also struggling to know what type of 'work' to save to show parents, ie. things they have made, photocopies of things they may have written on a whiteboard etc. So far what I have seems very scrappy and not very nice to look at, I know that's not the point, but would like some ideas on how to present what I have to the parents. (Im panicking - I have a parents eve fast approaching!)

Thank u xxxxx

I am in a school nursery and we have two journals.

One (which we call "My Year in Nursery") has photos, painting, pictures, mark making accompanied by children's quotes etc... This goes home with the child at the end of the year.

The second book is our observation journal. This included photos and observations. When the child moves to Reception this is sent up to the teachers there.

Our previous head was very concerned about sending home all our evidence so until I started the second journal the children had nothing to take home at the end of the year.

I have to say also that we have a lot of children with a multitude of issues, behavioural, health, S&L, social care involvement etc... Our observation journal includes "warts & all" info which relates to these and my personal feeling is that I wanted the book that went home to be a celebration of all the good things they had done in nursery not to include notes about the issues going on in their lives and all the agencies dealing with it.

So that is our rationale on having two books. Obviously it means I am looking at two books to help support my assessments and I have two sets of books to keep updated but it works for us.

Mel

x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)