Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning And Organisation

Hello,

How do you all plan and organise your days and weeks in reception? Currently, I do literacy and numeracy in the mornings. I do a whole-class session, then both myself and the NN do a focused activity each while the other children have a teacher initiated activity and some continuous provision activities to choose from (I use a task-board with pictures). We swap the groups over half-way through so that all the children have a focused activity. The teacher-initiated activities are usually literacy based in the literacy session and numeracy based in the numeracy session although I often have play-dough or something creative out that links to the whole-class learning.

Is this how other people do it? How do you organise the children? When people talk about continuous provision do you set-up both child-initiated and teacher-initiated in these areas or do you have separate teacher-initiated activities?

In the afternoons, I do a brief whole-class session and a focused activity for all the children covering 1 area e.g. CD or KUW. I also usually set-up 1 or 2 teacher-initated activities which link with the focused activity but don't necessarily cover the same area e.g. a CD activity during the KUW afternoon. I then also have continuous provision. Again, is this how other people plan and organise? I have looked at a lot of the weekly plans on this website and it seems that many people plan focused activities and continuous provision and do not mention teacher-initiated activities - is this because they included teacher-initated activities as part of the continuous provison areas?

Oops, there seems to be so many questions! I hope someone can help me with some of them.

Thanks

Alice

Thanks!

Having read through the links it seems that most people don't plan teacher-initiated activities just focused and child-initated - is this correct?

Also very interested in a more 'integrated day' but everytime I think about it my head spins - how do you ensure each area of learning is covered equally etc? Currently I don't plan any time for me to 'play' with children - think I need to?

Going back to child-initiated - do you leave the same resources out all day/do you always allow children to choose their own resources?

Thanks

Alice

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)