Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Continuous Provision Confusion!?!

Hello, this is my first post although I have taken much needed advice from here many times before - super fab place!!

Basically, I am in my second year of teaching a mixed R / 1 class and am still confused by CP. I work in a job-share and we have quite different views about how things should be set up. I would like to set up a series of activities / challenges at the begnning of the week and let these run throughout the week. Of course these would be extended, developed and changed based on observation throughout the week of the children's interests and engagement, etc. My job-share however, thinks that the children will become bored if the activities are not changed on a daily basis and wants to plan different activities for each area of learning in the classroom each day. As I am so new to working with this age group I am open to any advice and guidance!

Thank you

I think your idea is the way to go.

If an activity really doesn't take off then it can be changed but by extending as you describe you are offering a far greater range of activities to extend the children's learning and respond to their interests.

Your colleague's idea seems to be very adult led and a tremendous workload, with little continuity or opportunity for extension.

Children also need to have things modelled for them several times before they can take it on independently which your work pattern would allow.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your reply Susan - it has made me think my ideas are not too off track! Now just need to talk it through with my job-share - again!!!

Having worked lots of job shares I do share your pain.

Of course talking it through is the starting point here but failing that, have two different approaches. Do it your way on your days..... not great for joined up thinking and continuity but disagreeing over something you can't agree on is a waste of energy and causes unnecessary stress.

I have found the children hugely accepting in the variations between my job share and I, even though we try and do everything in a similar way we are different people and teach differently, yet the children respond to us both well and progress.

good luck

Thank you Fairyjojo,

I totally agree with you about wasting time and energy on this one!! We had a meeting yesterday and have chosen the 'meet in the middle approach' where by we keep some activities going over a few days / the week and change others daily!

We will see how it goes!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)