Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phonics support

I am by no means a phonics expert, having had no official training ( well any at all ). I have found it quite magic and have enjoyed the light it has shed on letters and words for children.... But

I have a little boy in my mixed FS/ year 1 class that struggled last year. He has each individual sound pretty much sorted but he can't put them together. His attempt for e.g. J-a-m would be m-a-n... Is this a memory issue... Only retaining last diagrams and therefore using them first?

Now this is a child with an appointment to see a S and L therapist and his speech was delayed considerably although he is now talking. Is he just gong to need more of the same with a view that he is taking a while to 'get up to speed' or do you guys have any suggestions and expertise to guide me while we wait.

Support at home is very limited.

Definitely part of his speech problem, which could be associated with auditory discrimination.

I would continue to support him with activities to promote development. Phase 1 should be continually revisited and underpin your activities anyway as it should be continuous.

Make as many observations of his difficulties as you can to help the SALT assessment which should give you the more specific guidelines as to what he needs.

• Like 2

Guest gemmabriscoe1

His S&L issues will def cause issues but, depending on the severity and help from outside agencies, should right itself.

In terms of phonics just keep doing what you're doing. Practice, practice, practice and eventually the stars will align and everything will click into place with him.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)