Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Year R/1 planning and daily routine

Hi everyone. I'm currently teaching a class of year r/1 children. There are 30 in the class and I'm evenly split with half year r and half year 1. I'm just so worn out with worrying that I'm doing the wrong thing that I thought it would be lovely to chat to others in the same position to see what you do. At the moment I'm really torn as all I want to do is help settle the year r children and guide them in using the cp etc. However with having year ones in the mix I feel we really need to push on with the curriculum. It's so hard trying to plan the day to suit both age groups! What does everyone else do? At the moment I'm thinking of splitting them into year groups for carpet sessions, then letting the year r have CIA while I work witht the year 1 children. Then after that I plan to leave the year 1 children working on a focused task but independently while I work with groups of year r children. Does this sound ok?? I thought I'd do this for both literacy and numeracy then everything else we do together.

Can your yr1s not help you model the use of CP? Maybe they need the guidelines reestablishing themselves to enable them to use the areas successfully and productively when needed.

You may need to teach your day as you have described but you will be more successful if your Yr1s can be as independent as possible--that is the key in any yr1 classroom. I think you may be able to teach your ys 1s and differentiate down for your yrRs. You will be exhausted if you try to teach 2 classes all the time.

Guest gemmabriscoe1

I have nursery and reception this year and kind of have the same issue, in that the reception childen are ready for pushing on and challenging, but the nursery have no clue about how to use CP and the routine of the day.

An EYFS consultant came in last week and suggested that I split them into Nursery and Rec for carpet time and CP so that each group of children are getting the input they need.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)