Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Interactive Whiteboards

Hi there, hope that everyone is well and still smiling this far into the term :o

Today, I just received the very exciting news that my (reception) classroom is going to be fitted with an interactive 'smart' whiteboard !!

I'm just beginning to research programmes which we can use on the smart board and wondered which programmes other people had used sucessfully. The whiteboard won't initially be linked to the internet, so would need to be resources we can buy rather than websites we can use.

Any information on sites for all areas of the curriculum would be great!

Am very excited about his (hope it won't be a technological nightmare!) and its great to be one of the first to get one, not one of the last as usually seems to happen in the early years. xD

Thank you!

Hi there, hope that everyone is well and still smiling this far into the term  :o

Today, I just received the very exciting news that my (reception) classroom is going to be fitted with an interactive 'smart' whiteboard !!

I'm just beginning to research programmes which we can use on the smart board and wondered which programmes other people had used sucessfully.  The whiteboard won't initially be linked to the internet, so would need to be resources we can buy rather than websites we can use.

Any information on sites for all areas of the curriculum would be great!

Am very excited about his (hope it won't be a technological nightmare!) and its great to be one of the first to get one, not one of the last as usually seems to happen in the early years. xD

Thank you!

39591[/snapback]

Well done, Foundation were the last to get them in our school. Mine was installed a week ago, so I'm still experimenting! I find the internet is too slow on our connection and we're using some of our favourite CDROMs at first (DK counting, reading and the Sherston abc, 123 etc)

We've used the creative pen for handwriting patterns and that went down really well.

Trying modelled writing tomorrow, hopefully. Have scanned in characters from our big book with speech bubbles for our first sentences-should be fun!!

Experiment and enjoy it!!!

Good luck

Jan

I am sure you will love it.  I have a promethean board with activeprimary so I dont think my resources will be suitable to use with a smart board

but - I knowt that Northumberland ngfl have smart stuff on their website.

http://ngfl.northumberland.gov.uk/iwb/default.htm

Good Luck!

M

39592[/snapback]

We have just had our Promethan whiteboard fitted - you have any good links that are suitable with this board? How are you using your's at the moment?

I am really excited about it! - how sad am i????

SArah

I was at a meeting yesterday and overheard a conversation about whiteboards, the jist of it was that the two people talking have dyslexia ( or other visual disability) and their point was that black ink on white background is a presentation method that they find quite difficult to read ( to do with visual interpretation).

I wonder whether the designers of whiteboards considered this and whether there are many children ( maybe not diagnosed) who will have difficulty in "reading" from a whiteboard. Maybe something to consider in your inclusion policy/practice.

peggy

I was at a meeting yesterday and overheard a conversation about whiteboards, the jist of it was that the two people talking have dyslexia ( or other visual disability) and their point was that black ink on white background is a presentation method that they find quite difficult to read ( to do with visual interpretation). 

I wonder whether the designers of whiteboards considered this and whether there are many children ( maybe not diagnosed) who will have difficulty in "reading" from a whiteboard. Maybe something to consider in your inclusion policy/practice.

peggy

39731[/snapback]

It is easy to change the background and colour text to something less stark than black and white.

Edited by michaelle

peggy

39731[/snapback]

I am using this rainbow fish flip chart this coming week. I dont know who the author is as it was on our network so possibly from promethean site

Sorry I am not allowed to upload a file with the flp extension so it wont load. Maybe I can email it to you though? I will ask steve.

Edited by michaelle

hi

for people looking for flipcharts for their promethean whiteboard these websites may be of help:

http://www.prometheanworld.com/uk/scripts/...Findex.html&d=1

and

http://tlfe.org.uk/promethean/flipcharts.htm

They may be of some help. I seem to be making a lot of flipcharts for Jolly Phonics. No doubt Jolly Phonics will produce something soon for whiteboards.

Ooooooo

What type of flip pads are you making for jolly phonics?

I am currently making a large version of the sound book - not very inspiring i'm afraid! but desperately trying to be creative and find new ways to use the interactive board

Sarah

Hi, I've had an IWB in my classroom for 2 years now :) Because I'm ICT co-ordinator aswell I made sure the FS were the first to get one... I bet you don't here that much from other schools huh... tehehe

We use something called Foundation Literacy - All Day To Play... it's £500 for a site license but you don't have tyo purchase site, and it covers everything you could ever need for foundations in literacy... it's Fab!

We also use it for story time alot and have Electronic Stories - Storybook Phonics 1, 2 and 3.

Umm... we use a lot of 2simple software which is great too. Basically, just make sure you use it as much as possible, and ask for it to be mounted as low as possible so the children can reach. I have a drum beater next to mine so that they can reach higher up :D

this may sound very thick or nieve that i havent found out, but what are flip charts for the interactive white board?

i have never used one!!!!!!!!! (shhhhhhh ill keep that quiet from my ict manager or she will cry) :)

Hi Sarah

I do make large versions of the sound books for Jolly Phonics, also large rainbow letters and pictures of things with the sound at beginning, middle end

here is avery simple example

Hi Sarah

I do make large versions of the sound books for Jolly Phonics, also large rainbow letters and pictures of things with the sound at beginning, middle end

here is avery simple example

Our school was lucky and was included in the Derbyshire pilot for training teachers on IWBs which was excellent. I have used mine a great deal and really love the impact it can make on learning. :D

We use alot of 2 Simple stuff - I love 2 create a story and have used this with FS children in the last term.

We also have Espresso which is expensive but brilliantand covers alot of areas.

We also subscribe to Education city which has good resources for FS.

I have enjoyed using the animated stories on the Pips CD which are free (and good.)

Hamilton-trust.org.uk also have good animated tales to download free. Some excellent ideas for planning for numeracy and literacy based activities here too

There are some brilliant school sites which have links to free web based resources. Coxhoe in durham is very good and should come up on Google but can check for link if not.

Yahooligans also has many movie trailers of kids films which make excellent talking points and were recommended on pilot.

I have many other ideas and activities from the pilot which I will try to upload when I have a minute!

Hope this is useful to you

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)