Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Timetable Hell!

hi all,

i am in need of major help! i am trying to sort out my timetable at the moment. i must have changed it at least 5 times and i still cant get it to what i want.

can anyone offer any advise about how they timetable their day or even provide a timetable for me to look at. i am so worried that my timetable is far to structured for a reception class.

thanks all

:D

hi all,

i am in need of major help! i am trying to sort out my timetable at the moment. i must have changed it at least 5 times and i still cant get it to what i want.

can anyone offer any advise about how they timetable their day or even provide a timetable for me to look at. i am so worried that my timetable is far to structured for a reception class.

thanks all

:D

39481[/snapback]

Hi Clare,

My timetable is quite structure also: I do CLL and MD in the mornings, CD on a Monday afternoon, KUW on a Tuesday afternoon, PD on a Wednesday afternoon, P.S.E on a Thursday afternoon and leave Friday afternoons blank to follow-up anything from the week.

Hope this helps,

Alice

Timetables are very personal things and are also subject to outside influences, such as timetabled PE slots in the hall!

I don't really have a set timetable as such because a lot of my children are part time at present. However, I do have a whole class phonics and literacy focus first thing and a whole class maths focus after play. Inbetween I catch children to work with me on specific lit/num activities. When these are done (usually by Weds, because I only have one or two "compulsory" activities in literacy and numeracy a week) I fit in everything else around the whole class focus sessions.

I've tried loads!

This one is working for now:

It generally looks like this:

8.50 registration & free choice, including adult led KUW / CD activities (on Tuesday this is writing names - trace, copy or from memory)

9.30 Jolly Phonics

9.45 Jolly Phonics handwriting

10.00 Key worker chat time - sharing, talk about and change reading books

10.15 Snack

10.30 Playtime

10.50 Table top tray activities - beads, puzzles, construction etc. During this children do a writing activity or adult led maths activity and some follow up on phonics (On Tuesday this is PE time)

11.30 Pack away, prepare for lunch, Jolly Phonics video clip

11.50 Part timers go home, lunch for full timers

1.05 Quiet time/ PPA music / ITC / library / nap / reading with Y6 partners

1.30 mat time - maths focus usually with related activities to follow / cooking (or PE one afternoon)

2.15 snack

2.30 play

2.45 A variety of assemblies, story time, music...

Hope that is helpful. Obviously this is only for the first half term. When I get all in full time (after half term) things will change!

heyjude

hi, don't know if you are still looking but here is a copy of my weekly timetable - know it is a personal thing but this works for me and the children in my class! all the activities and inputs are cross curricular linked to our weekly topic!

Autumn_Term_Timetable.doc

Hi Saraholl,

I really like your timetable and I can really see it working for me too.

BUT we have been told (very firmly) that we MUST have two sessions of child inititated a day and under NO CIRCUMSTANCES (thats our early years advisor's capitals not mine) must we have child initiated work going on along side teacher directed work. If I understand your timetable correctly, you all do CI in the afternoons but in the mornings only certain groups are doing CI whilst others are on teacher directed things. Am I right in thinking this and what are your thoughts because personally I quite like the way you do it. I am having trouble fitting everything in.

Hello!

i have tried the approach with child initiated sessions in the morning and the afternoon, however i found that the children were wanting more direction and i wanted to meet their needs! the sessions are about 45 mins once my input is complete - obviously the directed activities don't run that long, so the children are still having CI opps after their activities and i am available with my TA to interact and observe. I feel that every teacher knows their class best and should be allowed to make their own decisions to meet the needs of the children - and as my deputy says - they are advisors ... not inspectors!! good luck and feel free to plan your timetable and curriculum delivery as you see best!

also, if you are not allowed to have CI alongside TD, then does she mean that all children are supposed to be caryying out TD activities at the same time? Surely that would result in children working without adult support, which i feel is inappropriate for such young children?

Hi Saraholl,

I really like your timetable and I can really see it working for me too.

BUT  we have been told (very firmly) that we MUST have two sessions of child inititated a day and under NO CIRCUMSTANCES (thats our early years advisor's capitals not mine) must we have child initiated work going on along side teacher directed work.  If I understand your timetable correctly, you all do CI in the afternoons but in the mornings only certain groups are doing CI whilst others are on teacher directed things.  Am I right in thinking this and what are your thoughts because personally I quite like the way you do it.  I am having trouble fitting everything in.

40347[/snapback]

How would this work in an ideal world? No child initiated alongside teacher directed? I've not the luxury of having additional staffing coming out of every orafice, so have to manage teacher directed stuff alongside an adult working on child intiated play. If not, the children will have to revert to either all being directed at the same time - which was what I didn't like last year as directed literally meant all sitting down at tables like Yr1 - or all being child intiated - which then means that often what needs to be done as far as delivering certain stuff, goes by the by.

Has anyone managed it yet? I focus mornings towards lit and afternoons towards numeracy, with KU and CD very much permeating the entire day. It's very hollistic at the minute, which seems to be working for my children. I'm focusing heavily on phonics as my main teacher directed lit stuff alongside guided talk, and then the numeracy is currently directed towards touch counting - as worryingly, most of the children have come up not being able to count from nursery. At all. Very low re profile assessment, but very happy at school.

I am very comfortable with how things are working, but am also confident to say that I will change when and if the need arises. I do like the ecclectic style of the classroom at the minute - but am sure someone could pick fault with it!

Guess until then, I'll just let the children's enthusiasm and enjoyment lead the way!!!

xxx

Wow! I just love reading your posts they make me feel so much better! You have given me loads of food for thought.

Yes, we do try and do TD activities all at the same time! This is how it works - I have a group, my TA has a group and the other 3 groups are given a directed task with a learning intention but (according to the advisor it dosen't matter if they don't do it cos you can be expected to be in 2 places at once) so they kind of revert to CI.

You are quite right, it dosen't really work because they constantly interrupt you - often for great reasons to show you things etc - and now I am thinking about it what's the point of giving them a L.I. if it can't be followed???

You are so right, we should do what works for us.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)