Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Optional Unit

Hi

I am just about finished my NVQ3 just got last optional to do which is p4. All about portage workers can any one help or suggest a good sight that i may be able to get some information from.

I feel so worn out be so glad to get my life back.

Sorry can't help except to say contact your local portage people.

Just like to say, well done for keeping at it, I know it's really hard, especially the portfolio building work. Nearly there though and you will feel great when you finish :D:D

Look forward to seeing your "Smiley" face avatar soon :o

Peggy

I'm sorry Nerak,

This isn't an optional unit I did.  Perhaps you could let us know which part of the unit you are specifically working on and I could try to help.  :)

39532[/snapback]

It's dku 20 difficulties experienced by some parents in acknowledging and valuing in the child all aspects of their child's racial and cultural origins.

dku 22 techniques for building and evaluating relationships with parents taking account of gender, race,culture and religiouse differences

dku 23 indications of stereotypical patterns of parenting and different approaches opportunities stratergies for changing stereotypical parenting practice.

bet your glad you asked now, i have sat looking blank for days and cannot move on. This optional unit is all about special needs children working with parents through home visits.

I need a holiday

Nerak,

Firstly I think it would be helpful to you to think of the 'bigger pcture'. This unit is actually about supporting parents who are having difficulties, for whatever reason. Having a child with special needs is one aspect of the unit (and may be what you are primarily involved in) but the underpinning knowledge you are required to have covers much more than this. :)

The first knowledge point you are stuck on is asking you to think about why some parents may have difficulty accepting their child's racial and cultural background. Just as an example, think about the difficulties which may be faced by an Indian mother and English father bringing up the child in a 'Western' way. What about parents who have different religious beliefs? One vegetarian and one non vegetarian parent? Perhaps the parents may be seperated or divorced, and there may be feelings of bitterness towards their ex partners. It may be that the grandparents are interfering and insisting a child is brought up in a particular way.

The second point is asking you to describe how you build up relationships with parents and you have probably written quite a bit about this in P4.4. Have a look through your work and think about if there is anything else you do - forms to fill, meetings with parents both formally and informally, other forms of communication? Have you considered the fact that some dads may not become involved in bringing up their child. What about language difficulties?

For that last part, identify stereotyping that may occur in a family. Such as girls stay at home and look after the children, do all the cooking. Boys go out to work, participate in more physical sporting activities. How will you go about countering these stereotypes without upsetting parents?

Hope this helps a little - please bear in mind this is just my interpretation so don't take it all as gospel! :D

Nerak,

Firstly I think it would be helpful to you to think of the 'bigger pcture'.  This unit is actually about supporting parents who are having difficulties, for whatever reason.  Having a child with special needs is one aspect of the unit (and may be what you are primarily involved in) but the underpinning knowledge you are required to have covers much more than this.  :)

The first knowledge point you are stuck on is asking you to think about why some parents may have difficulty accepting their child's racial and cultural background.  Just as an example, think about the difficulties which may be faced by an Indian mother and English father bringing up the child in a 'Western' way.  What about parents who have different religious beliefs?  One vegetarian and one non vegetarian parent?  Perhaps the parents may be seperated or divorced, and there may be feelings of bitterness towards their ex partners.  It may be that the grandparents are interfering and insisting a child is brought up in a particular way.

The second point is asking you to describe how you build up relationships with parents and you have probably written quite a bit about this in P4.4.  Have a look through your work and think about if there is anything else you do - forms to fill, meetings with parents both formally and informally, other forms of communication?  Have you considered the fact that some dads may not become involved in bringing up their child.  What about language difficulties?

For that last part, identify stereotyping that may occur in a family.  Such as girls stay at home and look after the children, do all the cooking.  Boys go out to work, participate in more physical sporting activities.  How will you go about countering these stereotypes without upsetting parents?

Hope this helps a little - please bear in mind this is just my interpretation so don't take it all as gospel!  :D

39632[/snapback]

Carol Thank you so much that makes it seem much clearer.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)