Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pretend Ofsted

Guest tinkerbell

Guest tinkerbell

hI everyone

Today we had a pretend OFSTED, we have done this for the last four years, the headteacher gets an OFsted inspector in for a day every year. The inspector has a focus and pops in and out of classrooms etc.People had asked for feedback on the forum from people who had had an Ofsted if you are interested .....this is what he fed back

He and the headteacher observed the yr3/4 teacher during literacy lesson ,the inspector was looking at the headteachers observation to see if they were both in agreement, that would confirm the headteachers comment onthe sef that the teaching was excellent.

They will talk alot to the children ,school council eg

They will ask children what they are learning, what their targets are, what they are good at etc

He focused on the SEN children and the support they were given.

I asked him to look at my planning and assessment during lunchtime as I still dont feel happy about this as I teach YR1/R

I showed him my assessment folder with a class list for each area of the profile,these are followed by class obsevation sheets,and a sheet for each child which postits can be stuck on.We do the PIPS and e-profile so this information would feed into this.I also have just made a portfolio with all those lovely dividers that some one kindly put on this forum...I could see he was impressed with this.The photographs we put in behind the dividers he suggested we datedthe photos.

Very interesting, thanks for that. Have also made that portfolio with those lovely dividers, just need to add the relevant 'evidence' now - will take time but be worth it.

I have started the same - am thinking that at least ifthey (the big O come in then i have them in progress - you reckon this will be enough?

Sarah

Tinkerbell - you cannot use PIPS data as evidence towards FSP judgements. FSP judgements are derived from observations of children's learning (mostly child-initiated) and an accumulated picture of consistent behaviour that demonstrates use of a skill or understanding of a concept over time. PIPS cannot be used for this as it is a 'test', and a snapshot of learning (not related the FSP / CGFS) in a moment of time and therefore cannot be consistent.

Am interested in your opinion ocelot. We've done PIPS and have transferred data onto profile. Personally, I don't see the point in PIPS as they are very 'tunnel vision' but unfortunately I am lolely class teacher. It has been used as a tool to 'group' children in the past.

I was wondering where you got your opinion from - i.e. published stuff that I can wave around in front of people's noses etc.

Thanks

I do agree with Ocelot BUT.........

......and I feel VERY VERY VERY VERY BAD and an awful teacher.....

how managable/practical/possible with only 24 hours in one day and with 30 children in the class and 117 'points' for every child is it to derive your main source of evidence from observations during child-initiated?????

We had a big "thing" on this very subject after our Moderation Meeting in the summer. In the end we had advice from the top person in our County that we could use teacher assessments as evidence - in fact we got a list of acceptable evidence - such as photos, children's achievements in teacher directed work, snap shot observations and OF COURSE your professional judgement as a teacher.

Would really welcome lots of views and advice on this - Ocelot how do you do it?

Once again there seems to be confusion, conflicting advice and conflicting practise amongst us!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bungalow

Fed up with Profile already and only about 5 weeks in!

Guest tinkerbell

Hi

thanks for your thoughts on using the PIPS assessments to feed into the FSP Oculet.I said I would use it as part of my assessment along with a portfolio of evidence etc

We have just got the results back and they only confirm what we already thought as a staff.I need to get the manuel to understand what getting over 60 or 75 means does that mean the test stops there?

The results do confirm our SEN children are where we thought they would be which will be evidence for the ieps ,sen co etc.

Tinkerbell

Gater -

the attached documents should help you, one is information from OFSTED; although it is 3 years old it sets the expectation that 'baseline is not required' and 'a particular approach is not expected'. The second is a letter from Margaret Hodge about the (lack of necessity) for additional assessments. You might also like to try the link below; its the PNS website FAQs on the FSP; Questions 7 and 9 are particularly relevant.

Hope this is of help; let me know

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/primary/f..._stage/1145599/

FSP_BFP.pdf

Inspection_of_the_Foundation_Stage_revised.doc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)