Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Holiday care

Melba

I see everyone is reporting the lack of holiday care available to parents, and the cost of what there is.

When we set up our OOSC, the advice from the LA was don't bother with a holiday club, there's no support and you WILL make a loss if you try.

I researched and came to same conclusion!

Then when we did put together a holiday club over the Easter break.................................. following a survey that said parents wanted and needed it....................... hardly any support at all and it was cancelled!!

I run a holiday club and it covers its costs, but I cannot compete price wise with some of the school or leisure centre clubs that are supported by additional funding. I have to be more expensive or close.

I find that there are a huge number of parents who do not want to pay for childcare, and therefore will always either moan at the cost or just not use the provision. Many parents say there is a lack of provision, but what they really mean is that there is a lack of free or really cheap provision.

I have to market my setting at parents looking for something that is high quality, offering something above and beyond basic holiday club childcare i.e. those who can afford it and understand that "you get what you pay for"

To offer the same as the clubs that are financially supported is not possible as I would make a loss.

It is a difficult business to be in.

• Like 1

We just can't compete with the schools prices, we do have children during term time, but in the holidays the take up is much lower. This is only the first year we've been running so hoping that as more children leave our nursery and go to school but do OOSC with us, they'll also stay with us in the holidays. Our main feeder school club is full before and after school so we're doing well for September.

• 3 weeks later...

We have the same problem. Our holiday club bookings have dwindled over the last 10 years, and although we have an increase in last minute bookings (parents that hoped they would find something free but didnt) the numbers are still quite low. We are only half full, but i keep staff numbers low to match (still above ratio). There are several subsidized schemes running throughout the 6 weeks holiday again this year and although our fees are not that high in comparison in term time... they arent even charging a quarter of what we charge because its all funded.
The only reason we are even bothering with the holiday club is because we are open for daycare anyways, so it just allows us to top up our numbers while others are on holiday, plus siblings of children and regulars.

we had the same problems as most of you we decided not to open for holidays last year . All staff were affected resulting in loss of working hours however we are viable in preschool and oosc . These groups subsidised the holiday club so we where stretched financially so in the long run it has turned out for the best. I feel that the shortage of places are in affluent areas because for the majority of our local providers are under numbers resulting in other clubs closing within the area.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)