Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

We Had Our First Ofsted Inspection Last Week

Hi

We are a new nursery opened 10 months ago, we were due our seven month initial inspection some point in July and so we prepared and waited. Well after three months of waiting they turned up last week when we were least expecting it. - Always the way!! So it was a surprise visit!

It was stressful two days even though our inspecting officer was very pleasant and laid back. My staff seemed to lose all capability and were doing things they never normally do (Nerves - they said, which I understand but even still??)

The inspection went well and at our feedback I understand we received a satisfactory all over, with a lot of positives, a recognition that there is willingness and capability for improvement and growth and there were a few recomendations. One being the planning structure etc which was already under review.

I am pleased with this as I feel that ten months in, its a work in progress. The children are happy confident and learning so that must stand for something. I know where I want to go and I think ofsteds comments will help me get there.

What do you all think? Is Satisfactory and acceptable grade for this stage of play?

The annoying thing is a lot of our stuff is under review or changes are actively being made, now our next report wont be for 2-3 yrs and so this one will represent us till then.

Oh dear, the pressure of it all!!!

Nic x

Hi Nic,

Well done, Satisfactory is a very acceptable grade, especially only 10 mths after opening. I think the fact that you showed you know your areas to develop helped you get this grade.

It is very difficult to get any higher than Satisfactory, I think a setting can't get a good grade if there is only one area of development and I think this doesn't seem fair.

I know what you mean about the staff losing all sense of capability, mine were like that a few years ago.

Give yourself and staff a pat on the back, you now have the 2-3 yrs to work on the goal of getting a "Good" next time round, and it isn't a bad thing to have this united goal for the staff to aim towards.

Congratulations.

Peggy

Well done to you and your staff Nic. :) As Peggy says, this is good going especially since you haven't been open long. I think that the important thing for you is to keep some sort of 'log' of changes which parents can access. Then you can say - we got satisfactory last time but look at all the changes for the better we have made since then! :D

Well done to you and your staff Nic.  :)  As Peggy says, this is good going especially since you haven't been open long.  I think that the important thing for you is to keep some sort of 'log' of changes which parents can access.  Then you can say - we got satisfactory last time but look at all the changes for the better we have made since then!  :D

39086[/snapback]

Thats a great idea beau - I hadn't thought of doing that. I'm too busy thinking over the planning etc, but thats a great way to reflect how we have improved since Ofsted's visit - Thanks!! :D

Nic x

Well done - starting from scratch is never easy - I've been at it for seven years and there are still things on my want to do list - so use the comments positively, the fact that you now know which areas you need to look at will certainly help you, you can get started on these and work on other areas you want as you go along too and I'm sure next time you'll get a good. Just think no pressure for you now... and tomorrow is the beginning of the weekend

Nikki

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ann waez
xD My first inspection is due within the next month,so its panic stations!,i took over the nursery in April after teaching in a nursery unit for 17years, its so different running a business.Has anyone got any useful guidance, tips,advice to a newcomer in the private sector?we have moved forward but still have many things to do . :o Ann

You're half way there if you know what still has to be done. Make sure you let the inspector know you are aware of your weaknesses and have an action plan showing how you're going to achieve any changes. I always believe in getting in first with the bad news. Good luck :D:D

I agree with you Rea and this principle really helped us recently.

I manage a new 52 place Neighbourhood Nursery, we have been open since Feb. and had our inspection 3 weeks ago. I told the inspector all the things that we were planning to do and had 'to do' lists to show her so we could prove that we were continually evaluatiing our practice.

She stayed for two days and was very thorough and we were very pleased to acheive a 'good' in all areas, so have an overall grading of 'good'. The staff team worked really hard and we are now wading through all the changes that we planned to make.

I even asked the inspector for advice in a couple of areas. In your self evaluation if you believe you are good in an area have the confidence to tick it.

Good luck

Teri