Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

mixed reception and year1

Hi I am new to the forum and to teaching with the new eyfs curriculum. I am starting a new job in Sep with a mixed rec and year 1 class and want to run the class as an eyfs class with enhanced provision/focus activities for the year ones. Has anyone please got an example planning format I could look at as I am trying to get some ideas for the best way to tackle this. Thanks vry much.

I'm covering a mixed YR/Y1 class at the moment. I've not got a specific planning format but I try to make the whole class inputs relevant to both groups and then extend for Y1. Sometimes I do this with the YR children present as some are very capable and by this time of year especially able to cope with it. I then work with the children in groups, as does the HLTA who is fab, working on more level specific follow up work. The great advantage of the mixed class is that children can work alongside others who are at there level even if they are not in the same age group. While working with a small group the rest of the children are using continuous provision and I post challenges in the areas for them to tackle and encourage them to extend their abilities independently in this way.

Thanks Holly35.This is what I was thinking of doing. I guess im trying to work out how many focused tasks rec and yr 1 need per week and how to fit it all in etc. Do u hav a timetable I could possibly look at please? X

I'm afraid my timetable is impossibly vague! I start with an adult input session straight after I take the morning register, and then another directly after morning break or in the last half hour before lunch. It depends on how much in the flow the class are in continuous provision. My phonics is done directly after the afternoon register and all the rest of the time is spent in provision. Within the provision times the children are either asked to work in small groups with an adult or are solving problems/challenges set at the end of the direct input time. I am fortunate enough to have the use of the school hall at times during the week so the Y1 children might sometimes be taken en masse to the hall to work without the distraction of the YR children accessing provision.

I have a maths and literacy input each morning and the phonics each afternoon. All other subjects are taught through those, so for example I have been looking at transport recently and my guided reading & writing, class reading & writing and challenges have been linked to that topic, making the whole topic more of a holistic learning experience.

timetable copy.pdf

weekly planning.doc

Thanks so much for your reply. I have been thinking very much along these lines, just getting too hung up on the diff between what each year group need. You have helped to clarify my thinking.Can I ask how many phonic groups/ inputs you do per day?

I do phonics once each day and mostly do a separate session for each year group. But that is made easier because my lovely HLTA takes one group and I do the other. If we don't have use of the hall I do one session for everyone and differentiate within it. That doesn't happen too often though.

Hi

Phonics input my Head agreed to pull TA's from other classes for that 1/2 hour so we can target more accurately. Other staff have been very supportive as they see the benefit further up the school and massive impact on our progress.

J

I've seen a lot of schools doing this now Moorside, effectively streaming for phonics. If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense as there is little point of children working on phase 5 if they haven't got to grips with phase 2 or 3 first. The schools I've seen it working in have seen a big improvement in their results too.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)