Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How can reception teachers support the transition to school for childr

I am an NQT reception teacher and really want to do my best to support the children who are coming to my class in September and also their parents. I wold love to hear from those of you in nurseries/pre schools about the best practice you have seen with regard to this transition. What has worked well and what hasn't worked so well? If the children are coming for two visits to the classroom, do you still feel it is valuable for the teacher to visit the children in their settings before they start. Many thanks.

Our reception teacher (school is in the next village) has visited us 2 or 3 times already, as has her TA. We have 4 afternoons at school starting next week for which I will go with them for at least the first afternoon and maybe more, if necessary. Our children are already familiar with the school as we do Forest School there. This year I have taken photos of the school environment for a book which we have in pre school for the children to look at and talk about. The majority of our children go on to this local school - we never get any visits or even phone calls from other schools our children might be going to, nor does our Reception teacher go and visit any setting where any other children going into the school come from..... So I know our children are very lucky and there is never any difficulty when they start in September. She also does home visits for those that want them.

Jo

Guest ShelleyT

I am a Reception teacher and we have 70 children coming in next year so transition is tricky! I have had meetings with all of the pre-schools and we are having two meetings for the parents on Tuesday. The teachers are all going to meet the children in their pre-school next week and then the children will be coming in to visit us 4 times before the end of the year. Three of those times will be with the pre-school staff accompanying them and the final one their parents will bring them. We are also having another meeting with the pre-school staff in the final week of term to hand over paperwork etc.

Good luck!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)