Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Speaking and listening year 2 interview

Not sure if this is the right place to post. I have a year 2 interview on Tuesday, they want a 30 min lesson focussing on speaking and listening. Up until now I've been in eyfs, so advice and suggestions appreciated!! Thanks

Amelie

Guest LornaW

As you don't know the children you need something that will stimulate their interest so an unusual object, amazing picture, piece of music or something along the P4C philosophy for children where you ask a question and then discuss it with children eg play a song about Friends then discuss the following using first talking partners then 4s then whole class

Who is your best friend?

Have they always been your best friend?

How do you know this?

Do you think they will always be your best friend?

What does it mean to be a good friend?

Is it possible to have a bad friend?

Have you ever upset a friend? Why?

Has a friend ever upset you? Why did they upset you?

Why do you think friends are important?

Would you rather have 100 okay friends, or 5 really good friends?

Do you ever feel like you don’t have any friends?

Another good resource is "Thunks" see here http://www.independentthinking.co.uk/Cool+Stuff/Thunks/default.aspx

Also I have already mentioned The Literacy Shed many good stimulii there for S&L activities.

Good luck let us know what you do & how it goes!

LornaW

I like that idea. I looked at the literacy shed to find a friendship picture but couldn't see one. Is there a friendship poem or song that you know? How much time should they discuss each section? And how would the end /plenary work? Getting myself worked up as its been 3 years or more since was in y2 class!!

Guest LornaW

If you go with friends you could play the Beatles song You've got a friend. Listen then you chose one attribute the ask children to do same in pairs etc / take feedback the develop by coming up with some words to describe a good friend / you scribe these words on whiteboard flip chart etc then develop a sentence about a friend etc all the while extending their vocab.

The idea being the children have a wider vocab for friendship at the end of the session remember it is S&L but you can scribe and I would end up with a written definition of what we want for a friend.

Y2 are just a little older and bigger than YR but still young at heart!

LonaW

You mean one attribute from the song or in general.

I like this idea as its something different. Just hope I can pull it off when they ask me questions in the interview. Do,schools ususlly ask questions relevant to ks1 in interviews? This will be my first so want to be prepared!

Guest LornaW

Sorry that song is Carole King not the Beatles!

How about this song from Toy Story

Youve Got A Friend In Me by Toy Story

You've got a friend in me

When the road looks rough ahead

And you're miles and miles

From your nice warm bed

You just remember what your old pal said

Boy, you've got a friend in me

Yeah, you've got a friend in me

If you've got troubles,I've got 'em too

There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you

We stick together and can see it through

Cause you've got a friend in me

Some other folks might be

A little bit smarter than I am

Bigger and stronger too

Maybe

But none of them will ever love you

The way I do, it's me and you

Boy, and as the years go by

Our friendship will never die

You're gonna see it's our destiny

LornaW

• 2 weeks later...

Hi lorna I thought your ideas were great and very helpful tips for me going into year 3 after years in eyes thank you. Did Jarvis get the job I wonder?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)