Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sourcing Information

I would welcome anyones suggestions as to how I can keep ahead with new initiatives, research and relevant information. Why can't there be a central co-ordinated store of information. We have DFES consulations, QCA and Ofsted Guidelines, DOH initiatives, EOC directives, Surestart - to name but a few - sometimes I come across things by chance which are really valuable, interesting and necessary and yet sometimes I miss them.

Does anyone have a way of ensuring I don't miss anything really important or have a way of putting on alerts that doesn't alert everything in cyberspace. I find some of the sites an absolute nightmare to negotiate and the number of times have found something of interest, have forgotten to save it to my "favourites" only to never find it again!!!! It seems to me that there is very little support here for practitioners and we have to find out everything for ourselves - probably why this site is so good - but if anyone has a really good way please let me know. Surely someone somewhere must co-ordinate all the information - it's all relevant but ploughing through the main 6-7 websites gives me a headache - any ideas welcomed.

Nikki

Hi, Nicola!

With you there! Me, I just keep reading publications, talking to my EY support people and coming here !! It would be good, though if there was a central store - but then we'd have it easy, wouldn't we !! :o

Anyone else?

Sue :D

Hi, I've registered on the Ofsted site for email alerts. Everytime something new is written, reports, news, etc I receive an email, lots I just bin ie: a county Higher education report, any I think are relevant I save in a folder for future reading.

I think some of the other sites, ie: surestart will send a regular newsletter if requested not sure if this is available through email though.

The reason I registered on Ofsted for email alerts is because I want to see what the new reports look like. Haven't had one yet, don't know if I've been missed or have they not written any for non maintained?

Has anyone else out there seen what the new look reports are like?

Peggy

Hi all!

One of our providers has their report on the website, but I have to be careful of confidentiality...basically, the following headings apply...

About this inspection - the legal blurb

The key inspection judgements and what they mean - breakdown of the four judgements

WHAT SORT OF SETTING IS IT? - when it opened, how it is organised into age groups, opening hours, Nursery Funding information, SEN children, EAL children, support from EYDCP/Advisory teachers, number of staff and what level of qualifications

THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE PROVISION - Helping children to be healthy; Protecting children from harm or neglect and helping them stay safe; Helping children achieve well and enjoy what they do; Helping children make a positive contribution; Organisation

There are four or five paragraphs under each of the above headings referring to Every Child Matters and looking at the care and education of the children as a whole

Improvements since the last inspection - what was recommended at the last inspection and if it has been addressed or not

Complaints since the last inspection - if any

THE QUALITY AND STANDARDS OF THE CARE AND NURSERY EDUCATION - judgements on the care and the education (as separate judgements)

WHAT MUST BE DONE TO SECURE FUTURE IMPROVEMENT? -The quality and standards of the care/ The quality and standards of the nursery education - recommendations for the future

Hope this helps .... I have just carried out a random search to see if I could find one that would show you and went to the Suffolk page (my former home county) and went through the list alphabetically until I found one..... fortunately Butterflies Day Nursery wasn't too far down the list. Type that in the search and it is in Brandon, SUffolk. Apologies if anyone is connected, but I can assure you it was TOTALLY RANDOM.

To answer the original email , Nursery World do email alerts, but only give you minimal information about what is in that weeks' edition. However, I find it the best way of keeping up to date with the latest news and thinking on early years.

Not sure about the other magazines websites, but Early Years Educator and Practical Childcare are well worth subscribing to aswell.

I would stick with the Ofsted website as they are pretty good at press releases and the like for changes in legislation and inspections (not that they give you much notice!)

Thanks for that info Running Bunny, I wonder why my Ofsted alert didn't work? :o

I shall go and have a look, I don't think you have breached confidentiality if a report is published.

Peggy

• 2 weeks later...

I have found the 4 Nations Child Policy Network site very helpful. You can choose email alerts and there are many links. It is exceptionally good for notice of upcoming consultations and legislation.

Hope you find it useful.

The site address is : www.childpolicy.org.uk

:o Jane xD

Thanks very much everyone for your input - there just doesn't seem an easy way so no doubt I will keep trawling through things, avoiding doing my course work and finding stuff of absolute no interest to me. 4 nations sounds a good one though - I am off to subscribe.

Nikki