Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lunchtimes in Reception classes

I'm just wondering how other schools organise lunchtime supervision at the beginning of a school year?

Do the children go to lunchtime play with the rest of the school? Do they stay out for the whole lunch hour?

Do they eat in the lunch hall with the rest of the school? Who supervises them?

Thanks in advance for any replies :1b

Edited by millhill

Our EYFS children eat their lunch in the hall with KS1 (KS2 come in later). They sit together on tables set aside for them and they then play outside on their own playground supervised by 2 lunchtime supervisors especially assigned to EYFS. They do stay out for the whole of lunchtime (about 40 mins by the time they've eaten) unless it's very wet or cold. They bring small toys from home to play with at lunchtime. In the summer term (after half term) those children who are already 5 will join KS1 along with one of their lunchtime supervisors. The youngest children stay on their own playground with the other lunchtime supervisor. Hope that helps.

Guest Pebble123

Ours are paired up with a year 6 buddy who collects them from the classroom, takes them into lunch and sits with them. They help them while theyre eating and then show them out to play afterwards. Works really well. The same buddy also comes into class once a week to read with them so they get a nice friendship going between them.They get about half an hours outside play.

Guest tinkerbell

We have a year6 buddy for the first half term or longer if children need it then the children are always first to go to lunch.The reception then play out in the early years playground with year1 and 2 lunchtime supervisors 'play with' 30 children.

Reception children all sit together in the hall, I go down with them a little early so the hall is empty and we're not rushed. I stay with them for a couple of days and year 6's take them back to class to put their lunchboxes away then take them out to the playground. After a week or so they are confident to find their way themselves. Y6 buddies play with them all year, they go onto the playground with the rest of the school then split off into just eyfs and ks1 on another playground at 1230.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the information. I like the idea of buddies in the playground. Do any of you have staggered intakes in September? If so, how do you work out lunch arrangements for the first few weeks?

Thanks

Ours go into lunch first, others follow immediately after though. They sit at designated tables and then go outside with rest of the school, some for the rest of the hour, some for the 5 mins that are left once they have taken ages to eat! My TA and I are available to begin with but they very quickly get used to things and don't need us.

As for staggered intakes, we don't do this so it doesn't affect us.

• 2 weeks later...

I suggested using the buddy system, but this was turned down as the head wants all children to go back to the Reception class after eating their lunch. The MTS will not be supervising them in the class so it is down to me to stagger a 1/2 hour lunch between the Reception staff (2 teachers/45 children).

How would you deal with this situation? I am not pleased.

Edited by millhill

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)