Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pets At Preschool

A member of our staff has been bringing her hamster into hte preschool each week and the children have loved him being there. They get a chance to feed him but don't handle him.

Today the head of our local primary school was in the building and commented that they weren't allowed to have pets at school any more....

Does anybody know the rules and/or who we should contact to find out please?

Hi Pandamonium

I have copied this from the standards for full day care.

Animals (7.4)

All animals carry with them some potential health and safety risks. A common sense approach

to managing these is required. Consider the following points:

ensuring that animals are free of disease and have appropriate health checks. For example,

cats and dogs are regularly treated for worms and fleas;

providing suitable housing and care routines;

ensuring litter trays and feeding bowls are not generally accessible to children and do not

contaminate food preparation areas;

preventing animals from fouling any areas used by children, indoors or outdoors;

supervising children when handling and caring for animals;

encouraging children to wash their hands after handling animals and their equipment;

raising children’s sensitivity and awareness of animals and their behaviour;

considering other factors which may affect you having animals on the premises, such as

religious beliefs, allergies or anxiety;

Full Day Care: Guidance to the National Standards

informing parents about animals being on the premises and before taking on new animals;

cleaning and feeding arrangements.

Linda

You beat me to it Linda. :D The important thing is that you think very carefully about your procedures and have one of those famous policies in place to cover all contingencies. :o I suspect that the school has just decided that it's not worth the hassle to keep pets. :)

I have a battery operated hamster, which has it's own Plastic glass ball for walking ( well wheels) in.

It looks very realistic and the children love it.....doesn't teach care skills though :o

It was a present so I don't know where it came from, possibly available in a gadget store/web site.

Peggy

Reporting on pets - my snails eggs didn't turn into snails - just a liquidy mess - must have been the journey on the virgin express train that did it -but am on the case and have sourced some more - so off to buy the container tomorrow - can't wait.

Nikki

we have snails in our nursery but a mum told us today that they are poisenous she saw it on the internet, but I have never been told that or seen it on the internet, and we have a company called zoo lab in and they bring land snails and other creatures they let children handle them, we always tell them to was their hands after. has anyone else read this?

Oh dear - more research - I am sure that Insect Lore would not be selling snails to nurseries if they were poisonous - but perhaps a call would not go amiss - another thing to put on my list - and there I was getting so excited - I am sure they are fine - loadsa nurseries have them and there has been no reports yet - eating worms is obviously ok!!!! or eating the soap and playdough is something that some children just do - the whys always amaze me.

Nikki

If anyone wants African land snails for their setting and are able to pick them up, PM me and I MAY be able to help. No charge for snails, obviously. I am in Salford area. We have a risk assessment (we risk assess everything nowadays, don't we) for our snail - the children love petting it and feeding it.

• 4 weeks later...

Update on our hamster....

I'm fuming actually! :o

With the help of this thread my lovely health and safety co-ordinator pinstakingly went through all the possible problems even drawing up a permission letter for parents of kids with allergies.

THEN the Management Committee of the building we rent in, decided to ban pets totally.... as the Head of the school (see first post) is a director of the committee, it's a fairly safe bet she raised it grrrrrrr

The kids (and staff) are gutted.

Did they give a reason? :( And is there any chance of appealing to their better nature.......... xD

I would at least be inclined to write a letter detailing the precautions being taken and ask them to reconsider in light of this. Also, ask what it is they actually object to. A small hamster in a cage is hardly a threat to life, limb and health! :o

To be honest as the whole renting situation is a bit delicate we'll be leaving it for now.

I was threatened by a teacher... at a cluster meeting someone asked if I had moved into my new building and I said yes and answered a few questions and the teacher said 'actually it ISN'T your building is it?' I laughed and said 'well no but let's not go there' she went on to the other lady 'they just RENT a room and all the facilities' to which I bristled nad said 'well if you want to be like that we only rent the room as all the facilities are our own' (fridge etc... which we will be letting other users use)

She retorted 'you want to be careful, I'm on the committee and you might just lose it'

xD

I've been advised to report it but can't quite be bothered!

:o hope she doesn't visit the forum

mind you if she does..... she'll know I could report her :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)