Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Newly Registered

I have just opened a pre school for children from 2 to school age in my local village... we are just coming to the end of our second week !! After discovering this wonderful site i thought i'd ask if any one has any advice they would be happy to pass on :D i have worked in preschools before, and also work in reception at my local school, have done for the last four years. I have super staff and super children, but want to feel as if things are just right for when Ofsted walk through our doors :o Also has any one any ideas for a register. I have developed many drafts but cant seem to get it just right...

I look forward to reading your replies and also being able to share any worries i may have in the future :D

Thanks Jo

Hello Jo and welcome to the Forum,

How exciting for you, are you Private or Voluntary sector? I own my own preschool based in a rented scout hall ( furniture away every day :o )

I made my register using word. ( it's on my other computor at the moment so can't attach)

Childrens names 1 st column (on left). I arrange these through DOB and not alphabetically. Then 2 columns per day mon-fri. The first column we right entry time the second exit time. I have an adgascent sheet which records numbers. These are completed each time a child or adult enters or leaves the setting. 3 columns per day Mon-Fri. Headings are;

Column 1- Time

Column 2 No Children

Column 3 No adults.

These enable me to see how many children/adults at any given time.

The layout enables me to do a whole week morning and afternoon on two A4 size pages.

I print blanks of each and bind them together with each page opposite each other.

Names can be added to register as new children arrive.

I have attached examples, the time in/out example is relevant to the example register.

Good luck with your new venture and look forward to hearing and sharing your views in the future.

peggy

p.s. the headcount page is also useful if using more than one room in the setting. The whole thing will only work if EVERYONE enters each child/adult in and out.

HEADCOUNT_REGISTER.doc

EXAMPLE_IN_OUT_REGISTER.doc

Hi Jo. We have the same kind of thing to Peggy only 2 sheets, 1 for children and he other for staff and volunteers. We simply change the sheets each week. Any visitors sign in and out of a visitors book all these are kept by the door in the entrance to the buliding. All were 'pased' by Ofsted at our last inspection.

Hi Peggy and Star

Thanks for your reply

Its a private pre-school..operating in our local village hall... furniture away, spring clean before you leave so no one knows we have been there, storage is a nightmare :o but will keep plodding on, it's something the village needs :D the parents are so happy.

Hi Jo and welcome. :) I would definately advise making your own. The ones you can buy either don't quite fit the bill or are very costly. Once you have the template set up on your computer it's easy to print off as you need it. :) Make sure you have a good set of policies and procedures to follow right from the start too. There are some good examples on this site if you haven't got them already.

Sounds like an exciting time for you. :D How many children have you got attending?

Hi Jo, yes storage is a nightmare :o

I have got as much furniture as possible with wheels attached, tables, draw units, trolleys etc to help with packing away :D

Peggy

Hi Peggy and Star

Thanks for your reply

Its a private pre-school..operating in our local village hall... furniture away, spring clean before you leave so no one knows we have been there, storage is a nightmare  :o  but will keep plodding on, it's something the village needs  :D  the parents are so happy.

38425[/snapback]

Thanks for advice Carol. At the moment we have 16 children attending most sessions, we are registered for 26 but want to settle in with the ones we have first... we only have 8 on one morning but it always seems if there are 108, it seems more hard work for just a few some how :D

Hi Well done on opening, I'm about to try to set up locally, anyone have tips on finding a friendly village hall, are PLA workers able to give their opinion of where the demand is. Also I'm unable to do this privately so any good sources of funding . . . I'm in Hampshire.

Jo,

It's always more difficult at the start of the year. The important thing is to get the children used to the routines and rules before you start to try to do anything more adventurous. It is well worth while spending the time on this - you will reap the rewards next year, believe me! Encourage the children to be as independent as possible, within the confines of your setting. :)

Hi nicmax and welcome. :D I would advise that you go out and visit a few halls once you have narrowed down areas. Find out how much storage space there is and how they feel about sand, water, posters etc. Also how flexible they will be about any changes to the premises in order for you to meet regulations. (Such as extra locks on cupboards, regulators for water temperature etc.) Also think about how much they charge for rent, electricity etc. Make sure you get a signed agreement in place - I have heard of lots of cases where halls have suddenly decided to slap extra charges in place on a whim. :o Good luck. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)