Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

C2

can any body help with the policies and legal requirements for administering medicines,lotions,creams to children including parents concent as i have just starting working with children again after 5 years so the policies etc i am not yet familar with would appriciate any help thanks ann

can any body help with the policies and legal requirements for administering medicines,lotions,creams to children including parents concent as i have just starting working with children again after 5 years  so the policies etc i am not yet familar with would appriciate any help thanks ann

38334[/snapback]

Hi Ann

I have done c2 but it hasnt been marked, so I have copy and pasted what I have done. Also Itsnt the same question but may help with what your looking for. If not let me know, I'll have another look. here goes....

This is my question.....

Ke 14,16,19,20

You may have children that become ill whilst in your care. Identify relevant information relating to the following area’:

- Legal administration of medicines

- Administering medicines

- Storage and labelling of medicines

- Reporting of communicable diseases

- Parental consent re:medication

- Keeping accurate records

- Policy of the setting re: illness.

If, in the course of the school day, it is unavoidable that your child has to take medicine as part of the prescribed treatment, then the following conditions would apply. Parents are required to complete a form in school giving their authorisation for the medicines to be administered by the Head teacher or a delegated member of staff to their children. The authorisation must accompany the bringing to school of the medicine by the pupil and should include detailed instructions with regard to the quantity and frequency of administration. The medicine should be brought to the school in a properly labelled container with the name of the prescribing person (normally the G.P.) on the label as well as: the name and home address of the pupil; the name of the medicine and the dosage and time of administration. We do not take medicines to the class teacher.

- A record must be kept of who administered the drug and when the medicine was given.

- No early years work should administer a medication with out written consent under any circumstances.

- Medicines in our school are labelled with the child’s name and kept in a locked cupboard.

- All medicines are kept in a locked cupboard in the staffroom which is out of bounds for children. If the temperature of the medicine means it needs to be kept cool then it is stored in a fridge at the back of the staffroom, all medicines need are labelled with a child’s name and class number.

- When a child is taken ill in our school, the other children may be at risk. For example: if a child was showing signs of meningitis. Meningitis being a notifiable disease which means this needs to be reported to public health officer. Meningitis is a cause of serious concern to parents, but it is easy

Absence

It is parent’s responsibility to inform school of their child's absence as soon as possible. Contact on the first day of absence should be the normal expectation. Where a child is ill, the school should be notified of the nature of the illness and when the child is expected to be able to resume back at school. If you wish your child to leave school during the day for medical or dental appointments please send a note in advance and arrange to meet your child from school. We would be failing in our duty if we released children from the premises without prior written notification. Your child's attendance will be recorded on their Annual Report. Holiday Dates in the Spring Term of each year (January - March) a list of holiday dates for the next academic year (September - July) are published. If you want your child to accompany you on your annual holiday during school time, then a holiday form, obtainable from the school office, must be filled in. (These absences should not exceed two weeks in any school year.

Illness

If a child is taken ill or has an accident during the day, then after elementary first aid, and if we deem it necessary, we always try to contact the child's parents so they can deal with the situation. Please provide at least two phone numbers where parents can be contacted. These should be updated where appropriate. If your child has suffered a minor head injury he or she will be kept under supervision and will return home with a note advising you of the fact. The school will follow the advice of NYCC in dealing with the exclusion of children with infectious illnesses. Head / Body Lice Children found with head / body lice will be sent home for treatment. Once the children have been treated they may come back into school.

thanks very much for your help i completed it today having done some research but will keep the postive feed back you have given me alot i covered is what you have said thankyou very much

i some times struggle to put things in writing but feel proud of this write up

so if any one wants me to e mail them with it i am happy to do so thanks for your help ann i would have problems in completing this course with out the help that i recieve from this board thanks again ann :):D

thanks very much for your help i completed it today having done some research but will keep the postive feed back you have given me alot i covered is what you have said thankyou very much

i some times struggle to put things in writing but feel proud of this write up

so if any one wants me to e mail them with it i am happy to do so thanks for your help ann i would have problems in completing this course with out the help that i recieve from this board thanks again ann :)  :D

38377[/snapback]

Glad you got it sorted. I'm currently on C3 and its the worse unit I've covered so far....AHHHHHHHH

Mand

Just a thought......

I beleive this forum is an excellent resource for advice and support. When it comes to advice on NVQ we all need to consider the importance of "Plagarism", especially as NVQ is about individual's knowledge,skills and understanding, the vocational aspect being "What YOU do in practice". I understand that some settings do not carry out certain procedures to the level required of the NVQ and then the student needs to evidence what they would do given the "practical" opportunity. In this case I think it is very important for the student to think this through and not just have the "answer" given to them, for true professional development to take place.

Not meaning to offend, and the help is genuinely offered, but if answers are given it is not actually helping the student/candidate to "learn through experience" ( even if the experience is only theoretic thought).

Advice on "jargon" and possibly helping students to understand the "context" of what is required is, however, very helpful.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)