Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

ICT Question

Please can anyone help?

I have an observation for performance management on Thursday. I have planned a music activity and found a brilliant resource that I'd like to use for the plenary. BUT the resource is a You Tube video which I can watch without problem on my laptop; however I have problems with using it at school. Whilst You Tube is filtered at school, I am able to override this but I need the video to be available at the end of the activity - unfortunately, our ICT technician tells me, the video will have 'switched off' (there's probably a far more technical term than that!) by the time I need it and I don't want to be fiddling around on the computer trying to go through the whole process of overriding the filter before I can continue to the end of the 'lesson'.

In the past, I have been able to download You Tube videos to my laptop and put it on my memory stick with no problem - but now I don't have that facility on my laptop. I have looked on Amazon to attempt to buy it, but it can only be downloaded as a music track - I really want to use the video on the IWB.

Does anyone have any suggestions? :(

I use KeepVid to copy YouTube videos to my pen drive for using in school. There are other free options too. I think I just googled something like "copying YouTube video to laptop" to find the one I use.

If you use real player which has a free version to download, when you hover over the youtube video with your mouse it has the option to 'download video'. If you click this it is then downloaded into your real player library and you can play it at school.

All you clever people! I can devise all sorts of documents and know my way around the laptop pretty well - but start using words like 'embed' and 'real player' then it's like a foreign language!! :D

Thanks Holly, I downloaded KeepVid (not sure how I managed it, as I really didn't have a clue what I was doing - never sure whether it's 'safe' to download such things!) - but I did it and managed to use the video clip as part of my performance management observation - which went really well with a grade of 'outstanding'; so the term has ended on a good note! :1b

Why do I get a mental blank when ICT speak is used? As soon as I hear any ICT language that I don't understand I seem to just 'switch off' and if I ask for a deeper explanation I'm usually met with even more confusing words. :(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)