Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do Days Get Worse Than This?

Hi all,

We had a staff meeting today. The leadership decided that all staff had to contribute to our first "self-assessment". They had not read-up, so did not know that self-assessment is based on National Standards. I pointed this out at the meeting. Out of ten staff ....... seven did not know what National Standards are! The leader and her deputy could not even say "there are 14 NS for sessional care".

Please, tell me, it's not me going mad. - it's the rest of the world!

I've done my bit now.

I've ordered copies of NS an guidance for all staff members via the internet. I've told leadership that they need to give unqualified staff members more than 2 weeks to read and digest these documents, and that the first self-assessment might be better done without input from those with no knowledge or understanding of NS.

How can the setting employ so many staff who don't understand the principles? Including the leadership!!!

I'm at a loss as far as this goes.

Diane.

Hi diane,

Nice to hear from you. The mind boggles that they are unaware of the National standards :o

I did the self assessment with all my staff, but this was based on the 5 outcomes from Every Child matters, which Ofsted will use for Inspection criteria. The National standards, BTTM and FSC all link to the 5 outcomes. see attached.

Maybe you will need to order copies of all these as well. xD

I did post example self assessment sheets which I used with my staff but don't know how to link to the post.

If you can't find it with search pm me and I'll send them to you if you like.

Apart from the obvious, how are things, did you have a nice holiday break?

Peggy

NEW_OUTCOMES_standards_bttm_and_fsc_links.doc

Oh dear - what can I say? I am just in the process of writing up an assignment on equality of opportunity and was critically analyzing the various legislation regarding this and I concluded that some staff members whilst obviously working within the various laws on discrimination, race relations etc may not really understand all the implications of "duty and best practice" and give this the time it deserves.

I thought that I was being a bit hard but having read your post - obviously not - going back to basics was not an area I had thought of - I had assumed that everyone working within settings must be aware of the National Guidance, whilst everyone may not be aware of all the implications, they surely must have a basic understanding of the guidance of what is required. What about the settings policies and procedures? Do they not have to sign these off as being read and the implications of say the Health and Safety ones understood -x referencing them with the guidance. It must be pretty frustrating and extremely worrying - if the leaders are not fully aware of the Guidance, how can they possibly review their policies in line with them? I would imagine this might be your first area to reflect on??????????? And surely if you are where you say you are they should be offering some form of training to them, rather than asking them to just read the book - seems to me that they might need a few more clues.

Well, good luck with this one - keep your head up - I would love to read your assessment of the various areas surrounding management of the setting?

Nikki

very many thanks for that Peggy!

Yes the hols were good - great camping expedition with my 2 youngest. Eldest went "up to uni" on Sunday. A new era begins!

I searched for your self-assessment stuff, but failed to find it. It's probably me being incapable! If you could e-mail (or PM) it to me, or put it in as a new link, I'd be SOOOO grateful.

I despair, still, with this setting. They still do not acknowledge that I have a qualification. It was said today that (since the level 3 deputy has a day off one day in December) the setting will need to hire another level 3 to cover if the leader (also level 3) goes out!! I had to point out that, legally, my level 4 is as good as (I didn't say better than) a level 3, and I could cover. Oh NO! Unanimous opinion - it's not a level 3!! And we MUST have a level 3! OOPS level 4 doesn't count.

But I'm still hanging in.

Diane.

oh dear - what can I say. Sounds as though your efforts could be used and rewarded much better elsewhere - not very positive thing to say I know but sometimes you must feel so frustrated.

Nikki

Thanks for that Inge, beat me to it, and I've been practising how to do a link.

Diane,

You could show your leaders the QCA site which states what level each qualification is.

If I were you though, I'd let them get someone else in for cover. Do you really want to be put into that role of responsibility when the majority of the staff who would be supporting you are unaware of the Standards?

I did read somewhere recently of a preschool who got "unsatisfactory" because they were still working to the Desirable learning outcomes (DLO's) :( .

I agree with Nichola, and I know you have previously advertised your skills on this forum.

Fostering assessment has had a hold up......A social services check on my address shows that "A man who lived (they don't know what date) or may still live, at my address, was convicted of Child abuse and served a prison sentence :( ). I have written them a strong letter suggesting that the Social services need to get their act together to ensure they keep tabs on convicted molesters, when they move, because he certainly doesn't or never has lived at my address over the last ten years. :o AND WOULD THEY PLEASE CORRECT THEIR RECORDS. ( funnily enough this didn't come up with my husbands or my CRB check xD ) I await their response in the post today.....

Peggy

p.s. this is the final hurdle for our assessment and once clarified we should be put to the panel quite soon...hopefully children placed before christmas.

Thanks Peggy, Nikki

It's great to have sane and sensible people around (like you both).

Oops! I'd be flogging a dead horse if I even mentioned QCA in the setting. They don't undertstand "equivalence" of qualifications - an NVQ is "THE BEST" (presumably because it acknowledges work experience - I don't know). Equivalence of qualifications does not matter in the setting.

I'm now working towards level 5. Clearly, I have a good understanding of legislation, requirements, relevant guidance, recent developments, etc., etc. My current course ("Personal and Professional Development") has been a real stinker - and bless my tutor for accepting the "constraints" imposed upon me in the workplace.

At work, every time I mention something like "XYZ could be useful" or "ABC might help us with that", the deputy tells me "Oh, I did that for my NVQ3 underpinning" - even though she did that 4 years ago, and I mention things that have happened in the interim. And (if) I point this out, I get told either "we haven't had chance to look at that yet" or "why don't you tell us when you have these things". Which leads me to .....

I access current documentation, guidance, and so on, via the internet. Still nothing filters to me via the setting. It became apparent today that at least one of the new staff has been given 2001 national standards (not the 2003 version, and no guidance - with update - to accompany it).

They don't seem to think that it matters. OFSTED picked up that the staff were not familiar with the FSC. Clearly, if they're also not familiar with NS, the leadership needs to act. But, I feel that the leadership are not "comfortable" with either the FSC or the NS and that prevents the setting's progression.

I've always been good at "paperwork". I did it professionally for many years (my previous life!). Now, I'm committed to working in EY. I just wish the setting would acknowledge that I have skills in interpreting documents, and that I can apply interpretations to practical situations. Also ....... I do think I'm OK working with the children!!! If I didn't think that, I'd have done something else by now!

Oh, gosh, I've rambled again. Plus point (look, Peggy, me being positive) - I managed to persuade leader and deputy that the initial self-evaluation might be too onerous for the unqualified staff to conduct as "independent homework". I suggested that they might need time to read and digest the NS documents first.

However, two staff members have already said that the PLA level 2 certificate is too difficult, and have either dropped out already or have expressed a desire to do so. I'm sure none of the five of them need immediate NS stress from the workplace. I'm sure their course will give them a guided introduction.

I was positive - "if we do an initial evaluation (me, leader, deputy), then we can put the next one open to all, and have an ongoing staff comments list that the newer staff can add to as they find their feet".

I think it is the best I can do. I was very diplomatic with the leader and deputy when I directed them to the relevant legislation and guidance! And, gosh, it's becoming ever increasingly clear to me that I'm the only one who has an overall picture of FSC and BTTM (they just keep picking out a few stepping stones for each medium term plan, then repeating them). That's another issue!

Thanks both of you

(and thanks Peggy for the link)

Diane

QUOTE; I was positive - "if we do an initial evaluation (me, leader, deputy), then we can put the next one open to all, and have an ongoing staff comments list that the newer staff can add to as they find their feet".

Not a bad idea, especially the ongoing staff comments list ( for ALL staff).

It depends on what you see is the purpose of the self assessment. If it is to "evidence" how you meet the 5 outcomes (inclusive of NS,BBTM & FSC) then yourself and leaders may have the knowledge to complete it more fully than other members of staff. but.......if you understand that the self assessment is a tool for yes, evidence of practice, but more importantly a tool for identifying the needs for future development, then all staff, at all levels, should be involved in it.

I did mine with all staff and used the comments to identify specific training needs of indivudual staff as well as defining overall development needs of the settings practice. One of my staff showed, for example, no understanding of how we promote healthy eating practices, another member of staff ( who has learning difficulties) identified for the same question that we inform parents of what the children do or do not eat from their lunch boxes.(shared health care with parents :D ) The staff did the self assessment at home and then we discussed my evaluation of their responses as a team.

Good luck.

peggy

Good luck Diane, rather think you might be banging your head on that brick wall! :D

38403[/snapback]

Thanks Susan!

And thanks also Peggy, Nikki and Inge.

I know what you're saying, Peggy, about having all staff involved in the self-assessment. And I agree with you. That's why I've suggested the ongoing ALL staff input. However the leader and deputy want to get "a version" done ASAP. They wanted every member of staff "to go away and do it" (i.e. every person to do the whole self assessment for the setting, independently within 2 weeks). If they want an "instant" self assessment, it can't be done like that! No way can inexperienced and unqualified staff be expected to do that! Hence my suggestion of the "quick version" (some staff) then an ongoing update involving everyone. Very necessary that everyone is involved - but not with the pressure of doing the whole thing in two weeks! I don't know why there is such urgency; the leader is in panic, I think.

The self-assessment is not likely to yield any benefits to the setting per se. Areas for improvement will only be identified by OFSTED, I think.

Of course the FSC only applies to a small minority on our roll (we take children from 24 months to rising 5) - so at this point in the academic year, planning is negligible, since only a very few children are aged 3+. The setting's "blanket plan" (one for all) is firmly in place, and despite my regular protestations that stepping stones need to be tailored to individual children's needs, abilities and interests ....... life goes on. Despite the OFSTED inspector's comments that I needed to share my planning abilities with the setting! I tried.

Incidentally, it has taken me three years to get us to drop orange squash, and to offer snacks other than custard cream and digestive biscuits - now fruit happens 1/4 sessions per week and toast(!) 1/4. Clearly - biscuits twice a week is OK!!! Something so basic should not be so tricky.

Anyway, the brick wall is starting to hurt too much! Today, I've made my first moves towards applying for a leadership post, locally. I'm not totally confident that I could carry it off. But, I do have the necessary qualifications, I do have previous management experience (and training) and I'm capable when it comes to planning, record-keeping etc. I'd be on a learning curve with a lot of the admin stuff (head counts, funding, milk grants, and so on), but I assume that advice would be readily available (and I am fairly quick on the uptake).

I'm pretty well set-up for moving into a leadership post. For my latest course, I've had to produce a complete portfolio of "evidence". I suppose it must be a bit like an NVQ portfolio (not that I've ever seen one). Mine shows all aspects of my practice (completely anonymised), including settling-in, through to planning, delivering all aspects of the curriculum, evaluating and reporting; it covers interactions with professionals and parents, and encompasses resources, health and safety, child protection, equal ops, SEN, inclusion, ICT, ...... and uncle tom cobbly and all. Because my evidence folder is anonymised, I can use it as a "public" document, to back-up my cv.

I think I'm ready to take my skills and abilities to another setting and to use these to support, not just the children, but other adults too, and families.

Diane

(being very positive without Peggy telling me to be so)

Go for it Diane, as Nichola said, your knowledge and skills would be better appreciated and used elsewhere.

Your current setting does need you but not at the expense of your health, which will suffer if you remain disalusioned ( even though you are trying to be positive :o )

Good luck. Just a word of advice, don't try to over sell yourself, what I mean is that over a long period of time where you have been "advising" and "telling" others ( who should know) ways of doing things you have been made to feel uncomfortable with this because your qualifications and position has been undermined, thus resulting in you over justifying ( through explanation) your "worth" at doing this.

Sorry it's late, I hope that makes sense, just relax in the knowledge that you can do the job at supervisory / leadership level ( and can recognise your own professional development needs too).

Peggy

Diane,

Hope everything goes well with your application - now that you have made that first move I think you will find yourself being snapped up really quickly - so wait and just make sure it's the right one for you - frying pan/fire job - things always seem to happen for a reason too - so good luck with the application and hopeful interview - regardless of whether you want it - or it is offered to you - interview experience and filling in application forms is really valuable - I am c..p at it - I can communicate well on paper (well at least I think I can!) but once I get talking I can't stop and don't seem to be able to express myelf succinctly as all my staff constantly tell me..... so by attending interviews at least I can get a bit of practice for that ideal job out there.

Nikki

dianne,

Agree with nikki, always worth the experience even if you do not want the post when offered as it is not exactly what you expect. i have always been asked to do job rather than apply... happened 3 times now...right place right time.....

the admin side is not always an issue not all leaders do this part of the job, and all are easily learnt..and relearnt and relearnt every time they change..(our funding seems to change every 6 months!! I just train someone to take over and they change it and we have to work together again to get it right, one day I will be able to leave it to someone else)

Good luck be positive and be aware of not only your own value but also the areas which you feel you could develop and improve.

Inge