Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child voice

I am sure this has been covered somewhere but can't find anything!

How do other settings collect the child's views about the setting? I mean in the past we have done mind mapping about what they might like to learn about, we do record anything they say about something they particularly enjoy or would like to do etc... we have just updated out parent questionnaire and that goes out this week. We also have a sheet for the learning journey's where we ask parents to fill in things about their children and what they are currently enjoying at home and there is a section for what children might be looking forward to doing, which I must admit we assume they fill in with their children.

Does anyone else have a really dynamic way?

You may do something like this but we have a 'drawn around' boy and girl which the children have painted and when they say something worthy of the honour (!) we write out what they have said on a speech bubble - like ' I like playing with Boris' and get them to blu-tac it on the cut out children. They are on our wall, obviously at child height. They sometimes draw something too that they have enjoyed and stick it on.

• Video record large/ small group discussion, draw out a theme, share with parents via a video feed/ screen and run with it
  • Create a nursery magazine just based on current news that is based on what the children have said - no adult inerpretations!
  • Action research something in the setting - this is great for capturing children's (as participants) views
  • Record conversations on tape and build on that
  • go for a community walk and get your children's views and get your local paper/ news into your setting to share your children's views about their community.... ^_^

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)