Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

maths development matters statement - help!

help! i need help in clarifying what exactly this statement means/entails

* Counts objects to 10, and beginning to count beyond 10

it's obviously not the old count out 10 objects from a larger group (like the one below with 6 objects). is it just the ability to count up to 10 objects accurately, e.g. lining up to count or moving to count to keep track of ones counted? ideas please

This is what I've been interpreting it as - hope I'm right! I've taken it as a step on from the 30-50 mths statement which talks about reciting number names to 10. Many of my little loves "can count to 10 and more" (allegedly). What those well meaning observers have seen is their ability to do the reciting not the counting, as I'm sure you've all come across before.

Yes that's how I've interpreted it. If you look at the other statements I feel they cover other skills and this seems to be the only one which speaks about 1-1 correspondence (I hasten to add from my memory - I'm still at the point where I have to keep re-reading as I'm remembering the old statements sometimes!).

What we really need on this forum is a category for our 'Development Matters Dilemmas' - it could be divided into the 7 areas and then we could just 'click and ask' - it would be a great resource! I frequently wonder how to interpret a DM statement or I have an assessment and am not quite sure where to put it; by pooling our thoughts it would help to bring a little more clarity when our heads are feeling clouded! :1b

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)