Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assessment Formats And Evidence

I was wondering if anybody could help me with assessment evidence as I'm sure I'm not doing it right and it seems so cumbersome. I spent the summer doing the medium/long term planning for the year - the ELGs and activities/experience to be provided to ensure they can all be met. Its all split into half term sections. In my weekly plans, I am doing the same thing in more detail, adding stepping stones from the yellow, blue and green as well as the ELG and then the activity/experience. I don't know if the profile statements need to go in these weekly plans or where they fit in. I have a set of assessment lists for the children - just squares with one name per square. On this sheet I write the stepping stone and how it may be observed and stick it up in the appropriate area so that staff can do more focussed observations and help move children on to the next stage. They tick or date the square when the stepping stone is achieved. Sometimes there is a code e.g. tick if counting in maths area, star if in water area etc. So far, so good and its been successful and effective - but loads of work. The next thing I somehow have to do is transfer all of this to the children's individual files. I thought of using sticky labels, instead of the squares with the children's names, maybe typing the stepping stone and activity on each one but this is too much for one label! I have sheets with the profile statements, ready in plastic wallets for each child so that somehow the labels could be stuck on paper into the wallets but now I am getting stuck. Apart form anything else the ELGs don't always seem to feed into a profile statement - why can't they be the same?????

I hope that makes sense to somebody who can help me. I have a feeling that this posting is as confused as I am,

Ruthanne :o

Mmmmmm. I see 59 people have viewed your post and no-one has replied!! Looks to me as if we're all struggling :o

I think the key is not to make things too onerous for yourself. It sounds as if you are doing a million times more than me, for a start!

I keep post-its, or similar, of any significant obsevations I make (or my TA/ helpers make) and file them under the appropriate area of learning for the child concerned. Each weekend I take a look at my class over-view sheets of the profile statements (the one that was posted on this forum last year "class record") and fill in any statements that I feel I have sufficient evidence for (and this may not be recorded evidence, it could be my professional judgement). I keep an eye on those children who are "lagging" behind and try and find ways of moving them on. I did find last year that some of the profile statements are harder than others to get evidence for (my first experience of the profile having spent a couple of years in Y1 before that) so this year I am going to keep a closer eye and make sure I am providing enough opportunities for the children to achieve in those areas if they are able to.

Not sure if this is any help to you, but at least I tried!! :D

I agree you seems to be doing much more than we do in my setting. We have whole class record sheets for each area of learning which we use for recording achievement.

When I was moderated last year by our EY inspection team I was advised it was unnecessary to keep evidence for each child for each statement but rather keep a portfolio of evidence for each statement to show that I am judging correctly. Downloaded these wonderful dividers from this site.

A lever arch file with poly pockets for each statement and 2 or 3 pieces of evidence.

individual_dividers_CD.doc

individual_dividers_CLL1.doc

individual_dividers_CLL2.doc

individual_dividers_CLL3.doc

individual_dividers_CLL4.doc

individual_dividers_KUW.doc

individual_dividers_MD1.doc

individual_dividers_MD2.doc

individual_dividers_MD3.doc

individual_dividers_PSE1.doc

individual_dividers_PSE2.doc

individual_dividers_PSE3.doc

individual_dividers_PD.doc

Edited by MARl0N

Thank you very much for bothering to read and reply. :) Do you have one folder per profile statement for the whole class and just random samples of work or does each child have to have their own polypocket for each profile statement? Thank you again,

Ruthanne :o

Thank you very much for bothering to read and reply.  :)  Do you have one folder per profile statement for the whole class and just random samples of work or does each child have to have their own polypocket for each profile statement?  Thank you again,

Ruthanne  :o

38092[/snapback]

Sorry I wasn't very clear

We have one folder for each statement and add 2 or 3 pieces of evidence.

I was previously keeping evidence for EACH child for EACH statement and was told this was unnecessary.

Thank you Marion for those dividers. I can see how they provide you with the right a amount of evidence and for your judgements and good evidence for OFSTED.

An idea we have had suggested is the golden box. Where you use blank sticky labels to note down childrens achievement of stepping stone, ELG. this is then posted in the box by the child and then at the end of the day/week you go through the box and celebrate the childrens success. The sticky notes are then stuck in the childrens profile page. This saves the writing out of the same thing twice and it allows TA's to contribute and see incidental learning if you are teaching.

Guest tinkerbell

Is there a problem with downloading some of these files (the dividers). I have just tried, and downloaded some sucessfully. However some of the files do not work. I get the error message "There is insufficiant memory or disk space, word cannot display the correct font". Does anyone know what the problem is? or if anyone has had the same problem? What did you do?

Thanks. Tinkerbell.

Thank you so much everybody. :) Now I think I understand. I take the tick lists/sticky labels and key the results straight into Target Tracker, then show samples of what we are doing as evidence for the profile. I'll try next week.

Ruthanne :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)